Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by André Heßling <ah...@gmx.de> on 2004/01/11 20:32:01 UTC

[users@httpd] Delay when using mod_auth_digest

Hi!

I set up apache2 on an older machine (400 MHz) and recognized that it
takes a long time until a page can be loaded after the server has been
started.
The error_log shows this:

[Sun Jan 11 19:57:49 2004] [notice] Digest: generating secret for digest
authentication ...
[Sun Jan 11 20:04:26 2004] [notice] Digest: done
[Sun Jan 11 20:04:27 2004] [notice] Apache/2.0.48 (Gentoo/Linux)
PHP/4.3.4 configured -- resuming normal operations

You can see that this process took about 7 mins.
On a faster machine (1,7 GHz) the secret is generated in less than 1
sec.
If I remove mod_auth_digest from the config file, it works perfectly.
By the way: Sometimes it "only" takes 1 min to generate the secret.

What's the problem here?

Thank you!
  André

Re: [users@httpd] Delay when using mod_auth_digest

Posted by Brian Dessent <br...@dessent.net>.
André Heßling wrote:

> I set up apache2 on an older machine (400 MHz) and recognized that it
> takes a long time until a page can be loaded after the server has been
> started.
> You can see that this process took about 7 mins.
> On a faster machine (1,7 GHz) the secret is generated in less than 1
> sec.
> If I remove mod_auth_digest from the config file, it works perfectly.
> By the way: Sometimes it "only" takes 1 min to generate the secret.
>
> What's the problem here?

That does seem odd that it would take that long.  Is there anything else
running at the same time that might have higher priority that would be
starving the Apache process of CPU?  It also might have something to do
with the entropy pool being low, and thus the kernel has to wait for
some disk I/O and other interrupt events to replenish this entropy
source for the random number generator.  But that's kind of a
stretch...usually the normal operations of the system are more than
enough to supply the required entropy.

And, are you using digest authentication?  If not you can safely ignore
and disable that module, as a workaround.

Brian

Re: [users@httpd] Delay when using mod_auth_digest

Posted by André Heßling <ah...@gmx.de>.
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 22:31:56 +0000 (GMT)
Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com> wrote:

> Let me guess: Gentoo?  This is becomaing an FAQ on #apache.

Exactly. :)

> Gentoo have a bug that does that. Just remove mod_auth_digest.
> Or if you need it, scrap the gentoo apache and compile from clean
> source.

Ok, I'll remove that as I don't need it.

Thanks!

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.

--
Nick Kew