Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Lowell Kirsh <lo...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/19 09:46:13 UTC

wicket scalability

For work I'm trying to use wicket, but my boss wants to be reassured
that it will scale well. Can anyone point me to any sources (not
anecdotes) about how well wicket scales? And yes, I know my question
is vague, but right now, so are our requirements.

Thanks,
Lowell

Re: wicket scalability

Posted by Jonathan Locke <jo...@gmail.com>.

this has been my experience.  anecdotal evidence and
experience tells me that wicket itself is exceptionally fast.
fast enough that your DB will definitely be the bottleneck
and not by a bit, but by an order of magnitude.  1000/rps
vs. 100rps kind of thing.

Re: wicket scalability

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.

Re: wicket scalability

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
On 9/19/07, Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/19/07, Lowell Kirsh <lo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > For work I'm trying to use wicket, but my boss wants to be reassured
> > that it will scale well. Can anyone point me to any sources (not
> > anecdotes) about how well wicket scales? And yes, I know my question
> > is vague, but right now, so are our requirements.
>
> The best way to go is to not take our word for it, but test for
> yourself. Take wicket-examples, create a test project at it (e.g.
> using JMeter) and see what you got. Please feel free to post your
> results.
>
> Matej, if you still have some of those JMeter results lying around,
> maybe that would be interesting.

Some results of testing for memory consumption I just ran on the app
I'm working on (Wicket 1.3):

Run 1: 3,000 sessions -> ~ 200 MB
Run 2: 10,000 sessions -> ~ 950 MB
Run 3: 10,000 sessions -> ~ 110 MB (very light page)
Run 4: 10,000 sessions -> ~ 650 MB

It depends on what your current page is (when you use the
SecondLevelCacheSessionStore which is Wicket 1.3's default) and of
course what is in your session object.

Eelco

Re: wicket scalability

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.