Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org> on 2019/09/14 21:38:53 UTC

Beginners welcome!

Hi everyone,

Following ApacheCon NA 2019 and CCOSS 2019, there was a spike of
interest in contributing to Apache Projects, and specifically to
CouchDB. I wanted to remind everyone that we have 2 lists of issues
tagged beginner-friendly:

https://github.com/apache/couchdb/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3Abeginner-friendly

https://github.com/apache/couchdb-documentation/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3Abeginner-friendly

The CouchDB PMC welcomes GitHub pull requests on any and all of these!
If you've been hesitant to get involved, now's your chance. If you have
questions about how to get involved over and above this, or how to set
up a development environment for CouchDB, just ask, don't be shy.

Cheers,

Joan "more contributors!" Touzet

Re: Beginners welcome!

Posted by Garren Smith <ga...@apache.org>.
Hi Johs,

Awesome. Step 1 is follow these instructions to get started with the
documentation
https://github.com/apache/couchdb-documentation#building-this-repo

So git clone the repo,
setup python environment (Make sure you have python installed)
run make check - if that passes your setup is all good to go.

Any errors you experience post here so we can then improve the getting
started process for other people.

Then its best to do a search for the documentation you want to change. Once
you find where it is located. Make the edits.
Once you have made your changes. Submit them as a PR and we can then review
it and take it from there.

Cheers
Garren

Re: Beginners welcome!