Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Jerome Lelasseux <le...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2023/05/31 21:11:58 UTC

Distribution of a NB app with a native library ?

Please forgive me it's not a pure Netbeans question.

The next version of my Netbeans platform music app uses a native library, the software synth Fluidsynth https://github.com/FluidSynth/fluidsynth/wiki/Download which is available on Win/Linux/Mac.

Would you have recommandations on the best way to package my app to continue distribution for Win/Linux/Mac ? ("best"=a trade-off between minimize work for me and end-user acceptability).

What I understood so far:
Simpler for me is to bundle the native lib plus its few dependencies into the package. I did it on Windows, I can still use the NB packaging feature and it works OK.

But is it possible to do this for Linux ? When I checked on Ubuntu the fluidsynth lib dependencies using ldd, I found tons of libraries I would need to embed, and I guess they would work only for Ubuntu. I don't easily have access to a Mac, so not sure for Mac.
Another option is to create a package for my app (e.g.  deb Linux and brew for Mac) which declares a dependency so that the package manager takes care about installing fluidsynth. But there are many different package managers, not for all distros, same for Mac, with some restrictions...
I lack some experience on Linux and Mac and I'm lost. Any help welcome.

Thanks  Jerome

Re: Distribution of a NB app with a native library ?

Posted by "Mark A. Flacy" <mf...@verizon.net.INVALID>.
Greetings,

At best you could claim that your package supports a specific version of a
specific Linux distribution (with some caveats around Redhat<-->Fedora and
Ubuntu<-->Debian equivalences).

Ideally, you'd make a different bundle that was keyed in some way such that a
linux user of a non-Ubuntu/Debian/RedHat/Fedora/Gentoo distribution could wire
in their own.

--
Mark A. Flacy
mflacy@verizon.net

Posted by Jerome Lelasseux <le...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
 Thanks for the feedback

    Le jeudi 1 juin 2023 à 05:54:50 UTC+2, Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com> a écrit :

  if this isn't a self contained lib on linux and it can't be easily shipped with your application your best chance is to simply ask the user to install it if your app can't find it.
  Seems to be a common lib and available in most package managers. https://github.com/FluidSynth/fluidsynth/wiki/Download#distributions

  -mbien

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.