Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by "Dr. Michael N. Lipp" <Li...@Danet.de> on 2004/07/02 11:02:16 UTC

Why has XMLForms been removed

Hello,

I have just noticed that XMLForms has been removed from Cocoon. May I
ask why? From 2.1.4 I got the impression that there is a real effort to
include a XForms (or close to) implementation in Cocoon. But obviously,
XForms is no longer considered to be of interest. For us, this is rather
unfortunate, so, if possible, I'd like to know why it has been dropped.

Regards,

     Michael

Re: Why has XMLForms been removed

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@vafer.org>.
> Hello,
>
> I have just noticed that XMLForms has been removed from Cocoon. May I
> ask why? From 2.1.4 I got the impression that there is a real effort to
> include a XForms (or close to) implementation in Cocoon. But obviously,
> XForms is no longer considered to be of interest. For us, this is rather
> unfortunate, so, if possible, I'd like to know why it has been dropped.

There were several reasons. The most important ones
are:

* lack of community support - it was no community effort
* we decided to focus on a single forms framework (former woody)

IIRC also some security issues popped up. Besides
trying to implement a client side spec on the server
side has always been questionable.

...that's why we deprecated XMLForms a while ago
and moved on.

Please have a look into "forms" block. You will
find a pretty mature form handling implementation
that's been used and well supported by the cocoon
community.

You won't burn your hands again if you go for it.

Hope I summarized this correctly, folks?

cheers
--
Torsten