Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/28 22:16:15 UTC

Please stop using snapshots.maven.codehaus.org/maven2

Hi,

We lost the ability to update the above repository in May, and some
references to it are now starting to cause problems as it is being
used to try and retrieve things that are not there (for example, you
may be getting the plexus-archiver 1.0-alpha-7-SNAPSHOT problem).

Please do not us this repository.

If you need artifacts from codehaus itself, you can use
http://snapshots.repository.codehaus.org/

However, as a general rule:
- only use snapshot repositories when you actually need a snapshot
from it. It will save you a lot of extra connections. Do so only in
the project that needs it.
- do not release with a snapshot repository still in place (We will be
adding checks for this).
- disable releases from snapshot repositories (this will alleviate the
need to do the above, but it does currently suffer from a bug that can
cause timestamped snapshots to fail under some circumstances).
- use snapshot plugin repositories even more judiciously than for
dependencies (as you will generally get automatic plugin updates from
them which can destabilise your build).

We're looking to improve this functionality in Maven 2.1, but the aove
will help in the mean time.

Cheers,
Brett

Re: Please stop using snapshots.maven.codehaus.org/maven2

Posted by Russ Tremain <Ru...@Sun.COM>.
At 7:31 AM +1000 8/29/06, Brett Porter wrote:
>Do you need a newer release than 1.0?
>
>http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/org/codehaus/mojo/build-helper-maven-plugin/
>
>- Brett

looks like we don't need the snapshot version - so I can disable the
old repos.

This should solve some other problems as well, since if there is
a hiccup in the http://cvs.apache.org/ snapshot repos, sometimes we would
pick up an old antrun plugin from this codehaus maven2 repos, which causes a build
failure as well.

thx,
-Russ

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.