Posted to users@maven.apache.org by TM <Th...@unibas.ch> on 2008/01/31 17:30:25 UTC

Two question regarding the Eclipse plugin

Hello,

I'm facing two issues regarding the Maven Eclipse plugin for which I havn't
found a soulution yet.

1.) Consider the simple scenario: project A depends on project B, B depends
on JAR xyz. If I run mvn eclipse:eclipse for A it will add xyz to the
classpath; so far so good. What if I want to prevent that xyz is added to
A's classpath? Is this possible? I didn't find an option for that.
The reason is that for complex project structures with lots of JARs and
transitive JAR/project dependencies this will blow up the classpath with
JAR's which are actually not referenced (if they derive from transitive
dependencies).
In the forum I found a "solution" that proposes to set the scope for JARs to
'optional'. But I consider this a hack and would rather prefer a switch like
"addTransitiveDependenciesToClasspath=true|false" for the Eclipse plugin.

2.) I have a maven build that creates some source code (via
jaxws-maven-plugin) which will be stored in a separate source folder (in
order no to interfere with other source code under version control). This
generated source code is referenced by some test code in the same project.
Is there a possibility to add additional source folders to the Eclipse
.classpath file when running mvn eclipse:eclipse such that I do not get
compile errors in Eclipse, because Eclipse does not know of any other
folders than the default ones.

Many thanks in advance for your help,
Thorsten

Re: Two question regarding the Eclipse plugin

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@apache.org>.
2.5 will include an "excludes" parameter :

<excludes>
   <exclude>groupId:artifactId</exclude>

</excludes>

But this is equivalent to <exclusions> in dependencies

Posted by TM <Th...@unibas.ch>.

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@apache.org>.
For 1), you should use <exclusions>  to block transitive dependencies.

For 2), any code generation plugin that runs before generate-resource phase
will get executed by mvn eclipse:eclipse and the generated source folder
added to the .classpath. If you don't get this behaviour, maybe you missuse
the plugin, or this one is not compliant with maven standards.

Nico.