Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2009/04/01 20:40:53 UTC

Thinking about a 2.2 release

I wonder if we should think about a 2.2 release based on javaee 5.
Trunk has a lot of improvements over 2.1 and I think it would be good
for our users to get something out before we do any really major osgi-
related refactorings.

It would be great if we could provide javaee 6 previews for the stuff
we have done but this seems less essential to me at the moment given
the rapidly receding timeline for the ee6 spec.

Stuff that makes plugins a lot easier:

-- transitive dependencies from maven in car-maven-plugin
-- gbean annotations
-- classloader-per-jar (not yet in trunk)

updated external project support:

jaspi support (still needs tck)
jetty 7 (@eclipse, this will now be servlet 2.5 compliant)
activemq 5

potential ee6 features:

openejb ejb 3.1 support
connector 1.6 support
jetty 8 (proposed) servelt 3.0 support
openjpa jpa 2.0 support (??? not sure how far along this is)

I wonder if we can release these somewhat separately as early access
plugins.

what do people think?

thanks
david jencks

Re: Thinking about a 2.2 release

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Apr 22, 2009, at 6:58 AM, Bill Stoddard wrote:

> David Jencks wrote:
>>
>> On Apr 15, 2009, at 10:42 PM, David Jencks wrote:
>>>
>>> I've been assuming that the classloader work Gianny and I have
>>> been working on in my sandbox would get into 2.2.  At the moment I
>>> think I have the classloader framework more or less working and
>>> I'm going through the plugins working on setting up the required
>>> jar dependencies.  Only some of them can be derived from maven
>>> dependencies.  This is turning out to be a somewhat slow process.
>>
>> I finally got the server to run with the one-classloader-per-jar
>> setup.  After struggling with this for a couple of weeks and seeing
>> the difficultly of correctly configuring classloaders I don't
>> think we should put this into 2.2.  For one thing classloading
>> seems to be pretty slow: it takes about 55 seconds to start the
>> jetty-jee5 server.
>
> 55 seconds to start... that's really bad  in comparison to the
> server today. The full Tomcat JEE5 assembly on my MBP will start in
> something like 20 seconds.. a minimal assembly under 10 seconds.
> I've been seeing reports that JBoss 5 is slow and bloated compared
> to earlier releases... seems to be the natural evolution of app
> servers.
> Is the performane hit related to the design (classloader per jar) or
> something in how the design is implemented?

I had enough trouble getting the server to start.... I haven't done
any profiling to find out what the slowdown is actually caused by.  I
assume that its because the classloader graph is now about 4 to 8
times larger and has a lot of duplication in it and no optimization.
I heard a rumor somewhere once that in order to perform well osgi
classloading needs indexing so a classloader knows where to look for a
class it doesn't load itself.  I imagine we now have exactly the same
problem.  I expect that with a bit of work -- such as actually using
osgi -- classloading will be at least as fast as it was before these
changes.

david jencks

Posted by Bill Stoddard <wg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jack Cai <gr...@gmail.com>.
+1 on both Jetty 7 as default and 2.2 branch creation.

-Jack

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.
Both ideas sound okay to me, as I would also like to start looking at
pulling OpenJPA 2 into trunk for EE 6...

Only suggestion, would be to start a new discussion thread with a clear
subject of something like "Branching 2.2 in xx days" to catch everyone's
attention.

-Donald

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Apr 23, 2009, at 8:17 PM, Ivan wrote:

> If possible, I would like to be involved in the server TCK progress.
> For I am new in this area, not sure whether there are any points
> need to be care while looking at those failed issues.
> Any comment ?

Sure, any committer can help out with the TCK.  I don't recall the
process these days though.

-David

Re: Thinking about a 2.2 release

Posted by Ivan <xh...@gmail.com>.
If possible, I would like to be involved in the server TCK progress. For I
am new in this area, not sure whether there are any points need to be care
while looking at those failed issues.Any comment ?
    Ivan

--
Ivan

Re: Thinking about a 2.2 release

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Ivan <xh...@gmail.com>.
>From my side, the JMS portlet update is done.
JMS Server Portlet:
a. Allow user the add/remove borker
b. Remove the functions of adding/editing/removing the connector, for it
could be done via editing the borker xml file.

JMS Resource Portlet:
a. Update the codes to support more than one broker in the embbed ActiveMQ

If possible, I wish some one could help to review it, not sure whether I
miss anything.
Thanks !
      Ivan

--
Ivan

Re: Thinking about a 2.2 release

Posted by Shawn Jiang <ge...@gmail.com>.
For (4)

I'd tested the 2.2 basic farm function and opened a JIRA:
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-4504>Another question is
per http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC22/plugin-based-farming.html

<http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC22/plugin-based-farming.html>We did some
test but found some problems in the doc.  So we are not sure if it's working
now.

--
Shawn

Re: Thinking about a 2.2 release

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Jack Cai <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Apr 1, 2009, at 11:40 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> I wonder if we should think about a 2.2 release based on javaee 5.
> Trunk has a lot of improvements over 2.1 and I think it would be
> good for our users to get something out before we do any really
> major osgi-related refactorings.
>
> It would be great if we could provide javaee 6 previews for the
> stuff we have done but this seems less essential to me at the moment
> given the rapidly receding timeline for the ee6 spec.

A javaee 5 release using either OpenEJB 3.0.1 or 3.1.x would be good
to see IMO.

-David

Re: Thinking about a 2.2 release

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.
Agree, that there is enough in trunk to warrant a 2.2 release before
moving on to OSGi and JEE6 work items.

IMHO, any EE6 preview items should be installable plugins not included
in the full JEE5 assemblies, especially given the legal restriction we
have in the JPA2 Spec (and possibly other EE6 specs) that includes the
2.(iii) clause "is made available for testing and evaluation purposes
only", which effectively blocks us from releasing artifacts implementing
those specs until they're finalized.

-Donald