Posted to dev@jclouds.apache.org by Ignasi Barrera <na...@apache.org> on 2018/08/09 13:30:20 UTC

[DISCUSS] Release Apache jclouds 2.1.1 RC1

This thread is for discussion of the first release candidate for
Apache jclouds 2.1.1.

Please use this thread for discussion of issues uncovered in the RC,
questions you may have about the RC, etc.

If you want to help to validate the release, you'll find a set of
scripts and the corresponding instructions here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/JCLOUDS/Validate+a+Release

You can also go run live tests for your preferred providers and post
the results here, or use the projects in the jclouds-examples repo,
such as the "compute-basics" to rapidly smoke test the providers you
are interested in:
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-examples

Thank you!

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache jclouds 2.1.1 RC1

Posted by Andrew Gaul <ga...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Aug 09, 2018 at 03:30:20PM +0200, Ignasi Barrera wrote:
> This thread is for discussion of the first release candidate for
> Apache jclouds 2.1.1.
>
> Please use this thread for discussion of issues uncovered in the RC,
> questions you may have about the RC, etc.
>
> If you want to help to validate the release, you'll find a set of
> scripts and the corresponding instructions here:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/JCLOUDS/Validate+a+Release
>
> You can also go run live tests for your preferred providers and post
> the results here, or use the projects in the jclouds-examples repo,
> such as the "compute-basics" to rapidly smoke test the providers you
> are interested in:
> https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-examples

Successfully ran blobstore integration tests with similar failures to
2.1.0.  Providers include atmos, aws-s3, azureblob, b2, filesystem,
google-cloud-storage, rackspace-cloudfiles-us, s3 (dreamobjects), and
transient.

--
Andrew Gaul
http://gaul.org/

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache jclouds 2.1.1 RC1

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.
Hi all

Seeing a couple of test failures on Windows:

*
FilesystemStorageStrategyImplTest.testDeletingInvalidPathFileEndsNormally
in filesystem

This is a known issue [1], although hopefully we are a little further to
figuring out what the behaviour should be. Added a comment to the PR [2]
to that effect.

* StaticLargeObjectApiMockTest.testReplaceManifestUnicodeUTF8 in
openstack-swift

Here, the error message seems to indicate some incorrect decoding
("unic?de" vs. "unicÔé¬de"); not clear if/how that would be related to
Windows:

testReplaceManifestUnicodeUTF8(org.jclouds.openstack.swift.v1.features.StaticLar
geObjectApiMockTest)  Time elapsed: 0.122 sec  <<< FAILURE!
java.lang.AssertionError: expected
[[{"path":"/mycontainer/unic?de/slo/1","etag"
:"0228c7926b8b642dfb29554cd1f00963","size_bytes":1468006},{"path":"/mycontainer/
unic?de/slo/2","etag":"5bfc9ea51a00b790717eeb934fb77b9b","size_bytes":1572864},{
"path":"/mycontainer/unic?de/slo/3","etag":"b9c3da507d2557c1ddc51f27c54bae51","s
ize_bytes":256}]] but found
[[{"path":"/mycontainer/unicÔé¬de/slo/1","etag":"022
8c7926b8b642dfb29554cd1f00963","size_bytes":1468006},{"path":"/mycontainer/unicÔ
é¬de/slo/2","etag":"5bfc9ea51a00b790717eeb934fb77b9b","size_bytes":1572864},{"pa
th":"/mycontainer/unicÔé¬de/slo/3","etag":"b9c3da507d2557c1ddc51f27c54bae51","si
ze_bytes":256}]]

This all using the following setup:

Apache Maven 3.2.1 (ea8b2b07643dbb1b84b6d16e1f08391b666bc1e9;
2014-02-14T12:37:5
2-05:00)
Maven home: C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache\maven-3.2.1\bin\..
Java home: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_40\jre
Default locale: en_GB, platform encoding: Cp1252
OS name: "windows 7", version: "6.1", arch: "amd64", family: "windows"

The test failures are minor and, from my perspective, shouldn't block
the release.

Regards

ap

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCLOUDS-1361
[2] https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/1162#discussion_r210170364

Re: Remove offending commit from jclouds repo (INFRA-16889)

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <ig...@gmail.com>.
Nope, it shouldn't change any commit ID

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <na...@apache.org>.
Hi Daniel,

I'm looking at fixing this issue, and I'd like your feedback on the
proposed way to fix it:
https://s.apache.org/nQsk

However, there are a couple questions I have before proceeding:

* Do you think it is safe to do so?
* The ASF must keep a record from all code contributions so we should
never deliberately delete a commit. The offending one, though is
"previous" to jclodus joining the ASF and is not reachable from any
ASF release or any existing branch/tag. I guess it shouldn't be an
issue then?
* Since we will be pushing -mirror to the SF remote, will that trigger
an email notification for each commit object pushed? (That would be
potentially a huge email flood.

Thanks!

I.

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <na...@apache.org>.
Hi Olaf,

We know it is not usual, and it is like this for historical reasons.
jclouds came to the ASF before the GitBox project was even started,
and where new ways of unifying GitHub workflows and ASF ones were
being explored. Back then, several communities that already had GitHub
orgs, kept their orgs just for review purposes, but all commits went
to the ASF git repo, When the GitBox project came in, this model was
stopped and all projects were onboarded and mirrored directly on the
ASF GitHub account.

This said, I don't know why the ASF mirror is not in sync. File an
INFRA ticket for that if you want, but the important thing is that the
only source of truth for jclouds code are the ASF git repos here:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf (the jclouds org on GitHub is
just mirrored from the repos there).

Posted by Olaf Flebbe <of...@oflebbe.de>.
Hi,

https://github.com/apache/jclouds <https://github.com/apache/jclouds> for quite a while. I monitored it for quite a while ;-)

I only learned now that the "official" mirror of asfs git is https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds <https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds> which is up-to-date.

Posted by Andrea Turli <an...@gmail.com>.
Thanks @nacx

I will try to run some live tests/compute basics but it won't be before a
week

Hopefully other team members will beat me at it and we can have enough
testers for the rc1.

Best,
Andrea

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <na...@apache.org>.