Posted to user@tuscany.apache.org by "Millies, Sebastian" <Se...@softwareag.com> on 2011/12/02 16:15:56 UTC

[SDO] How to declare non-containment properties in xsd?

Hello there,

perhaps someone can help me understand the SDO spec as regards containment.

I use SDO’s with types statically defined in an XSD file. Some of these types represent
dependent types that may have masters of different types. The masters of each type
are represented by a list of “anyType”.

Containment prevents me from adding the same head object to the master lists of different
slaves. So I want a non-containment property. The SDO spec talks about this on
p. 107, but my naive attempt to declare a non-containment list-property in my XSD led
to an ArrayStoreException at runtime (when the head object is added to the list).

I attach the complete XSD . Here are the excerpts of the two definitions of the
“masterObjects” property.

a)      with containment (works as expected)

<complexType name="MasterType">
            <!-- group the masters of each type together -->
            <sequence>
                  <element name="masterObjects" type="anyType" maxOccurs="unbounded"
                        minOccurs="0">
                  </element>
            </sequence>
            <attribute name="typeName" type="string"></attribute>
      </complexType>

b)      without containment (does not work)

<complexType name="MasterType">
            <!-- group the masters of each type together -->
            <sequence>
                  <element name="masterObjects" type="anyURI" sdo:propertyType="anyType"
                        maxOccurs="unbounded" minOccurs="0"> </element>
            </sequence>
            <attribute name="typeName" type="string"></attribute>
   </complexType>

Could anyone please point out the correct way to do this? If necessary, I can provide a JUnit test case
that demonstrates what I need.

n  Sebastian
IDS Scheer Consulting GmbH
Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Kamyar Niroumand, Ivo Totev
Sitz/Registered office: Altenkesseler Straße 17, 66115 Saarbrücken, Germany - Registergericht/Commercial register: Saarbrücken HRB 19681
http://www.softwareag.com

Re: [SDO] How to declare non-containment properties in xsd?

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@apache.org>.
Millies, Sebastian wrote:
> Hello there,
>

> in general, it seems that no one on this list feels comfortable
> discussing SDO-related questions.
>
> This is true not only of the topic of this thread, but also of others.
> My guess is that those familiar
>
> with SDO may have dropped off the list after the OASIS SDO Technical
> Committee has been closed.
>

> Could anyone perhaps point me to another list / resource which would be
> more suitable to discussing
>
> SDO problems? If there still is any – I strongly suspect I may be riding
> a dead horse here.

Hi Sebastian,
To answer your specific question: I think your perception about SDO
expertise on this list is correct, and unfortunately I don't believe
there is another active list or resource that would be able to help
with SDO questions like this.

On the related matter of how the Tuscany can continue to provide SDO
support for users who need it: Tuscany is a volunteer project, which
means that it's dependent on the contributions of individuals who are
willing to share their expertise and time.  The volunteer community
isn't static; some people move on, which leaves a gap.  This could be
perceived as a problem, but actually it's an opportunity.  If the project
is to continue to be active and successful, these gaps need to be filled
by new volunteers.  These new volunteers will inevitably be less expert
than the previous contributors, but this isn't a problem as long as they
have some level of basic knowledge and are motivated and willing to
jump in and provide what help they can, with support and help from
other members of the community.

If it sounds like I might have had someone in mind while writing the
above paragraph, that would be a correct perception :-)

   Simon