Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Paul Gardiner <li...@glidos.net> on 2019/11/24 15:55:38 UTC

[users@httpd] https requests working, but http mostly not

I'm using Apache 2.4.33 on opensuse Leap 15.1. I'm a long time user of
apache, but I cannot claim to be particularly knowledgeable. I mostly
use the opensuse defaults with my configuration changes kept in a git repo.

Something like a year ago, I set up mod_rewrite to automatically
redirect all http requests to https. That's been working fine and still
is. There are a few cases where I still need to permit http access, so I
have a few extra rules to override the main one for these special cases.
I added a new one recently and found it isn't working. The rule is
working and the http requests are getting through without being
redirected, but in many cases only headers are being sent back with no
data. curl -v -f is showing no data and then failing with error 18
(which I believe means the amount of data sent doesn't match what was
reported in the header - and it seems to be no data sent at all causing
this). Whether this failure occurs seems to depend on where I make the
request from and how big the file is. Requests from the server itself
(but via the external interface) mostly work. From other machines on the
network, the bigger the file the more likely is failure. This suggests
timing may be involved to me, but I have no other evidence that that is
the case.

I see no errors in the error logs. All the accesses show up in the
access logs (failure or not). I've tried changing places in the config
where log level is defined to "debug", but still nothing is reported.

I tried removing my mod_rewrite rules completely and then I see problems
throughout the sites I serve when using http rather than https. I have
horde/imp webmail: strangely the php files are still interpreted and the
result served, but css files and images don't appear.

I tried removing mod_ssl and mod_reqtimeout, but that seemed to make no
difference.

I just wondered if anyone could suggest a possible cause, or a way to
discover more information on the problem. Any help would be much
appreciated.

Cheers,
	Paul.

Re: [users@httpd] https requests working, but http mostly not

Posted by Paul Gardiner <li...@glidos.net>.
On 24/11/2019 15:59, Eric Covener wrote:
>> I just wondered if anyone could suggest a possible cause, or a way to
>> discover more information on the problem. Any help would be much
>> appreciated.
>

> Any different results with EnableSendfile OFF and/or EnableMMAP off?

Very interesting: although EnabledMMAP off looks to make no difference,
EnableSendfile Off seems to fix the problem. Thanks for your help.
I can just take on that setting, but would you recommend any further
tests to trace the underlying cause?

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.