Posted to ftpserver-users@mina.apache.org by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com> on 2010/10/13 20:37:43 UTC

Re: Question about enhancements to the APPE command and a new CHECKSUM command

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 8:13 PM,  <Ba...@thomsonreuters.com> wrote:
> The application I am working with periodically appends a small amount of
> data at the end of a file. Over time, this file does become very large. We
> need a way to verify that the incremental data has been appended correctly.
> Therefore the need to checksum only recently appended part of the file is
> desirable. Of course checksum of the entire file will provide the same
> assurance. However, it is perceived to be sub-optimal if the file is very
> large and one needs to do it frequently (like hundreds of times a day).

Running MD5 over a file is normally very cheap. Please try the MD5
command in your case and see if it works out okay, I suspect it will.

/niklas

RE: Question about enhancements to the APPE command and a new CHECKSUM command

Posted by Ba...@thomsonreuters.com.
Great. Will give it a try.

Thanks.

Bill