Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by ar...@keropa.com on 2002/01/25 11:06:43 UTC

configuring thousands of domain names

Hello everyone,

I need to configure an apache server for many domain names but I have some
doubts.  Can anyone offer me some advice?

I´ve got more than 5000 domain names in a mysql database ordered by sectors
or categories (eg; vehicles, employment, etc).  I´ve resently added these
5000 domain names to the bind server with the aid of some shell scripts that
I programed to automate the process.

The problem at this point is the apache server.  We don´t have a web for
each domain name.  Instead, we will have a main web for each sector (eg: we
have 3 sectors: information technology, vehicles and travel.  Each sector
would contain hundreds of domain names.  These three sectors would add 5000
put together).  The idea is to redirect those domain names that are related
to vehicles to the main web of that sector.  The same would go for the other
two sectors.

Something like:

if ($domain=="vehicles web") then /www/web/vehicles
if ($domain=="information-technology web") then
/www/web/information-technology
[...]

Has anyone encountered this type of situation before.  I don´t know if there
is a specific way or utility that might allow me to do this.  Otherwise I
will have to enter thousands and thousands of Aliases on different
VirtualHost.

Thank you much,

Yours faithfully,

Joan