Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Ryan Withers <wi...@gmail.com> on 2019/02/04 23:54:43 UTC

RE: Lowering the barrier to entry

Hello Nifi Community,

  I owe a couple people responses for a welcome to the community.  I made a
mistake and sent the mailing list a question before being signed up to the
list itself, LOL.  So instead of replying to the messages directly I
figured I would thank Andy Lopresto, Kevin Doran, and Matt Burgess for
their respective messages welcoming me to the project.

  I have spent time re-reading some of the thread "Lowering the Barrier to
entry" this afternoon.  I concur with many of the sentiments that the
documentation is great, there is however a lot of it.  Also on a personal
front I struggled with eclipse, but the eclipse tools are a bit out of date
in this regard.  The m2eclipse plugin has many dependencies that are really
challenging to navigate when setting up the eclipse IDE.  I've actually
been looking for an excuse to adopt intellij (looks like I found it).  I
didn't have any trouble building the project on the command line or within
the intellij IDE.  I have also generated a processor and a controller
service using the maven archetypes without any issue.  I still have a long
way to go with learning Nifi, but I'm excited by its potential and I am
learning more every day.

  At the company I work for we've been working on a process we're calling
Human Centered Agile, and as you might guess it puts the user first.  There
is a technique that our Human Centered Designers use called card sorting.
You can watch a short video about card sorting here:
https://www.optimalworkshop.com/optimalsort.  I have tried to pull out what
I thought were the main ideas of Nifi into a gsheet to which you can
request access here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XEVL5LOgspNJ5BOb5sbf38SxbaY3Dj5oolHJ8ECO2MI/edit?usp=sharing.
There is a pdf of the same attached.

I have two questions:

1. Would the community want to go through a card sorting exercise?  If so
I'm happy to provide access to the optimal sort tool.

2. Have I captured what everyone believes to be the main ideas?  I'm very
interested in making sure the list is complete.  (attached as pdf or
available via the gsheet link above)

Assuming the list is complete with the big ideas then I will make a pass at
creating definitions.  Using the big ideas along with the definitions the
goal of the card sort would be to figure out the relationships of the data
and determine an overall information architecture from those relationships
to help create a site structure that flows more intuitively.  Everybody's
efforts at sorting the information will create data / insights that will
reveal relationships between the data that can then be used to guide us
toward an optimal organization of the data.

Looking forward,

--
Ryan Withers
Senior Software Developer / Analyst

http://www.linkedin.com/in/ryanwithers

Re: Lowering the barrier to entry

Posted by Mike Thomsen <mi...@gmail.com>.
> Also on a personal front I struggled with eclipse, but the eclipse tools
are a bit out of date in this regard.  The m2eclipse plugin has many
dependencies that are really challenging to navigate when setting up the
eclipse IDE.

I would strongly recommend trying it with IntelliJ IDEA. I've been a paid
user for a few years now (there is a community version with fewer
features), and can't recommend it enough over Eclipse for reasons like
this. Officially, we probably don't want to risk a religious war over IDE
choice, but I would personally recommend you fire up IDEA. I think you'll
find it drops the barrier to entry substantially here because its Maven
support is incredibly solid and deeply built-in.