Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org> on 2020/02/17 14:55:46 UTC

Re: Hotfixes on the master

Hi all,

I would like to revive this very old thread on the topic of "unreviewed
hotfixes on master" again.
Out of the 35 commits listed on the latest commits page on GitHub, 18 have
the tag "hotfix", on the next page it is 9, then 16, 17, ...
In the last 140 commits, 42% were hotfixes.

For the sake of this discussion, let's distinguish between two types of
hotfixes:
a) *reviewed hotfix commits*: They have been reviewed through a pull
request, then committed to master.
b) *unreviewed hotfix commits*: These have been pushed straight to master,
without a review.

It's quite difficult to find out whether a hotfix has been reviewed or not
(because many hotfix commits are reviewed & pushed as part of a PR), but
here are some recent examples of commits where I could not find evidence of
a pull request:

// these could probably be combined into on JIRA ticket, as they affect the
same component + they touch dependencies
47a1725ae14a772ba8590ee97dffd7fdf5bc04b2 [hotfix][docs][conf] Log included
packages / excluded classes
a5894677d95336a67d5539584b9204bcdd14fac5 [hotfix][docs][conf] Setup logging
for generator
325927064542c2d018f9da33660c1cdf57e0e382 [hotfix][docs][conf] Add query
service port to port section
3c696a34145e838c046805b36553a50ec9bfbda0 [hotfix][docs][conf] Add query
service port to port section

// dependency change
736ebc0b40abab88902ada3f564777c3ade03001 [hotfix][build] Remove various
unused test dependencies

// more than a regeneration / typo / compile error change
30b5f6173e688ea20b82226db6923db19dec29a5 [hotfix][tests] Adjust
FileUtilsTest.testDeleteSymbolicLinkDirectory() to handle unsupported
situations in Windows
fc59aa4ecc2a7170bfda14ffadf0a30aa2b793bf [FLINK-16065][core] Unignore
FileUtilsTest.testDeleteDirectoryConcurrently()

// dependency changes
fe7145787a7f36b21aad748ffea4ee8ab03c02b7 [hotfix][build] Remove unused
akka-testkit dependencies
dd34b050e8e7bd4b03ad0870a432b1631e1c0e9d [hotfix][build] Remove unused
shaded-asm7 dependencies

// dependency changes
244d2db78307cd7dff1c60a664046adb6fe5c405 [hotfix][web][build] Cleanup
dependencies

In my opinion, everything that is not a typo, a compile error (breaking the
master) or something generated (like parts of the docs) should go through a
quick pull request.
Why? I don't think many people review changes in the commit log in a way
they review pull request changes.

In addition to that, I propose to prefix hotfixes that have been added as
part of a ticket with that ticket number.
So instead of "[hotfix] Harden kubernetes test", we do "[FLINK-13978][minor]
Harden kubernetes test".
Why? For people checking the commit history, it is much easier to see if a
hotfix has been reviewed as part of a JIRA ticket review, or whether it is
a "hotpush" hotfix.

For changes that are too small for a JIRA ticket, but need a review, I
propose to use the "[minor]" tag. A good example of such a change is this:
https://github.com/apache/flink/commit/0dc4e767c9c48ac58430a59d05185f2b071f53f5

My tagging minor changes accordingly in the pull requests, it is also
easier for fellow committers to quickly check them.

[FLINK-XXXX][minor]: minor, unrelated changes reviewed with a regular ticket
[minor]: minor, reviewed change
[hotfix]: unreviewed change that fixes a typo, compile error or something
generated

What's your opinion on this?

Re: Hotfixes on the master

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.
@Arvid Pretty sure that goes against ASF rules.

Re: Hotfixes on the master

Posted by Arvid Heise <ar...@ververica.com>.

Re: Hotfixes on the master

Posted by Piotr Nowojski <pi...@ververica.com>.
Hi,

Re: Hotfixes on the master

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.

Re: Hotfixes on the master

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.
Thank you for your response. Your response makes me realize that I should
have first asked whether other committers consider the amount of hotfix
commits problematic or not.
From the number of responses to my message, I have the feeling that most

Re: Hotfixes on the master

Posted by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>.