Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by pa...@talktalk.net on 2014/01/21 15:57:48 UTC

Can't open Documents as saying

Hello

Please could you help?

I have rang talk talk and they have given me you email address.

I can't open any documents as it is saying

Open Office.org.3.4.1

Either another instance of Open Office.org is accessing your personal
settings or your personal settings are locked. Simultaneous access can
lead to inconsistencies in your personal settings. Before continuing
you should ensure user "close Open Office on host"
Do you really want to continue. YES or NO

I can you the icon at the bottom of screen and when I right click a
small window above states "Close Window" which I have done and then
icon disappears yet I still get the above message.

 I have deleted which I think was open but to no avail.

Re: Can't open Documents as saying

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Tue, 21 Jan 2014 09:57:48 -0500
paulinemorphew@talktalk.net wrote:

> Hello
>
> Please could you help?
>
> I have rang talk talk and they have given me you email address.
>
> I can't open any documents as it is saying
>

> Open Office.org.3.4.1
>
> Either another instance of Open Office.org is accessing your personal
> settings or your personal settings are locked. Simultaneous access can
> lead to inconsistencies in your personal settings. Before continuing
> you should ensure user "close Open Office on host"
> Do you really want to continue. YES or NO
>
> I can you the icon at the bottom of screen and when I right click a
> small window above states "Close Window" which I have done and then
> icon disappears yet I still get the above message.
>
>  I have deleted which I think was open but to no avail.

You need to enable "Viewing of hidden files" (operating system level command, with which  I can't help) and delete any file wth a name similar to
.~lock.Filename.odt# in the directory where you have saved your file where Filename is the name of your file and .odt might be .ods, .odp etc depending on the exact type of file that is locked. Note that such lock files are only a few hundred bytes in size, whereas the "owning" file will be at least 6Kb in size.

The above "lock" occurs usually because OpenOffice and/or computer were not properly closed down, or sometimes from a program or system crash.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>