Posted to user@storm.apache.org by Dominik Safaric <do...@gmail.com> on 2017/02/16 17:56:58 UTC

Storm 2.0.0 release date?

Hi,

what is the expected Storm 2.0.0 release date?

Thanks,
Dominik

Re: Storm 2.0.0 release date?

Posted by Jungtaek Lim <ka...@gmail.com>.
Porting to Java was a part of merging with JStorm which merging seems not
work actually, but IMHO there're individual reasons to do so:

1. It has been a hard requirement to learn Clojure to dig Storm code, and
contribute. I've seen many developers giving up reading/debugging the code,
and I was the one. (To be honest I think I'm still beginner to Clojure.)
So porting Storm to Java will give them a great chance to play with Storm
code, and also contribute.

2. Clojure is chosen by Nathan Marz who is creator of Storm. I guess he
knows Clojure very well, but he is no longer active PMC member, and some of
PMC members are not expert of Clojure.

3. We've met number of issues from dynamic typing. Type mismatch is
occurring in runtime which can be caught in compile time in strong static
typing. Well, someone can claim tests should catch them, but relying
compiler is easier and not to miss, and sometimes writing test code for
such code block is much harder than original code.

4. We've also met some performance issues. Most of cases were missing type
hints, and then reflection occurs in runtime. It's hard to indicate so we
could fix it after some releases were done. (e.g. the performance issue
which was introduced on 0.10 was fixed in 1.0.1.)
We've also indicated bad performance with "reduce":
https://gist.github.com/tolitius/1721519

5. Lambda and stream API in Java 8 will make us keeping productivity after
porting to Java. There're some other boilerplates as well, and IMHO other
language like Scala can boost up with strong static type too, but due to 1
Java seems to be the best choice.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,
Jungtaek Lim (HeartSaVioR)