Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by je...@abbott.com on 2002/03/12 18:19:52 UTC

Re: Large pages not completely displayed with IE 5.x and Tomcat 4 .0.x

I ran into what I think is this problem before too, and here's what I ended up
finding...

I noticed the same thing as you, that the HTML was incomplete.  My HTML was
stopped right in the middle of a big list of SELECT OPTION's.  I thought there
was something wrong with the particular option that it died on, but then I
added some more options to the database before that option.  The HTML then
stopped on a different option.  I noticed that the HTML source for the page
with the problem was always 16k.  I checked my JSP page buffer size, thinking
that it was 16k and there was something causing it to not flush subsequent
buffers, but I found that my buffer was set to the default of 8k, so I was
getting 2 buffers' worth of output.  I checked the logs and found that I had
gotten a run-time exception in the execution of my JSP page towards the end of
it.  So, what it looked like was that, if it got a run-time exception but had
already sent back a full buffer, it was not sending the usual exception stack
trace in the resulting page.  I was thinking that this might be a Catalina bug
(was using 4.0.1), but I didn't investigate this further after I fixed the
cause of the run-time error.

Hope this helps.
-Jeff

                    "Robin Lee"
                    <tech_support        To:     "Tomcat Users List" <to...@jakarta.apache.org>, "Michael
                    @uls.com>            Gerdau" <mg...@technosis.de>
                                         cc:
                    03/12/02             Subject:     Re: Large pages not completely displayed with IE 5.x and
                    11:05 AM             Tomcat 4 .0.x
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "Tomcat Users
                    List"

Hi,

I had the same problem as you did... One of my pages would not completely
load...

Using: Tomcat 4.02, j2sdk1.4.  Windows 2K/NT, doesn't matter.. happens on
both.

At first I thought that it was because it was large.  But it wasn't the
problem.  The page in question returned about 150K of html code.  Another
page returned 600K and that ALWAYS displayed in its entirety.  So,  after
some checking and testing, i discovered it is because i had too many objects
open.   (Instantiated objects galore).

One thing i did to make it work is to make sure that each object that i
instantiate is opened ONCE... (I use a java mapping strategy to get data
from the database).

Once i did that, the rest of the data would show up with no problem...

That is one thing i would check and see if there are too many objects being
instantiated (same ones all the time).  That's my suggestion.

Good luck,

If that's not it, then i'm not sure what else it could be. :)

...Robin

Posted by Michael Gerdau <mg...@technosis.de>.
Thanks to all who responded !

Once I knew what to look for I finally solved my problem:
indeed it turned out to be an exception raised on the server close
to the very end of producing the HTML which didn't appear on the
Tomcat screen but only in one of the logfiles in the log dir.

After fixing that exception everything works fine.

This definitely made my day !

Thank you again, best,
Michael
--
 Vote against SPAM - see http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/
 Michael Gerdau       email: mgd@technosis.de
 Windows Error: 001 - Windows loaded.  System in danger.
 PGP-keys available on request or at public keyserver