Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Karen Tran <kt...@gmail.com> on 2015/05/01 17:39:09 UTC

[Proposal - New Feature] Add tag to config.xml to handle images

Hi dev-list,

I wanted to get your input on a feature I want to add to the config.xml.

Currently there are only the icon tag and splash tag that allows the user
to specify the icon and splash image in the config.xml respectively.

I want to be able to specify multiple images that will be used in my app
such as customized buttons. The problem is that the icon tag will rename
the image specified to icon.png, so ultimately the user would only be able
to change the main icon. And the splash tag of course handles the splash
image, so I don't want that.

I propose making a new tag that handles general images. It'll be similar to
the icon tag, except it won't rename the image. It will copy the image from
the src, and drop it into the correct drawable-density directory (I am
working in android).

I know I can just drop the images myself into the drawable folders, but I
have to assume that my users won't know the android project structure and
will only modify the config.xml.

Any thoughts, comments, or critiques would be appreciated.

Regards,
Karen Tran

Re: [Proposal - New Feature] Add tag to config.xml to handle images

Posted by julio cesar sanchez <jc...@gmail.com>.
Resurrecting this old thread

I think we need a resource-file tag on the config.xml (as the one on
plugin.xml) to copy resources to the projects, not just images as this
thread started.
Examples:
Images for push notifications
Sounds for push notifications
.plist and .json files with user data now required by google frameworks
(analytics, FCM, etc)

There is a discussion about this in Cordova discuss

https://github.com/cordova/cordova-discuss/issues/6

Posted by Karen Tran <kt...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Darryl Pogue <dv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Karen Tran <kt...@gmail.com>.