Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Maciejewski, Vincent (GMI - NY SWAPS)" <vm...@exchange.ml.com> on 2002/08/22 23:40:47 UTC

tomcat out of the box http version

Hello Everyone,

Does any one know if tomcat out of the box come configured to use HTTP/1.0 or HTTP/1.1? My logs say HTTP/1.0 but the xml config file seems to suggest that 1.1 is installed on port 8080.

Thanks for all the help in advance.

--vm

Re: tomcat out of the box http version

Posted by Bill Barker <re...@verizon.net>.
"Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org> wrote in message

> On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Bill Barker wrote:
>
> > Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 21:43:13 -0700
> > From: Bill Barker <re...@verizon.net>
> > To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> > Newsgroups: gmane.comp.jakarta.tomcat.user
> > Subject: Re: tomcat out of the box http version
> >
> > Out of the box, 3.x.x currently uses HTTP/1.0 (but 3.3.x can be upgraded
> > with the CoyoteConnector to HTTP/1.1).  4.x.x out of the box uses
HTTP/1.1.

> It should also be noted that HTTP/1.1 requires backwards compatible
> support for HTTP/1.0.  In addition, if a request comes in with protocol
> HTTP/1.0, the server will answer back with HTTP/1.0, even if it supports
> 1.1 as well (and the answer-back is what typically gets logged).

Well, half right.  The CoyoteConnector (which is the default for 4.1.x),
correctly responds with "HTTP/1.1" in the status line regardless of what the
client asks for.  It does degrade correctly for an "HTTP/1.0" request.
However (per the RFC), the response is for the highest version that it
supports.  Apache/httpd behaves the same way.

I haven't looked at the 4.0.x HttpConnector to see what it does.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bill Barker <re...@verizon.net>.
Out of the box, 3.x.x currently uses HTTP/1.0 (but 3.3.x can be upgraded
with the CoyoteConnector to HTTP/1.1).  4.x.x out of the box uses HTTP/1.1.

"Maciejewski, Vincent (GMI - NY SWAPS)" <vm...@exchange.ml.com> wrote in
message