Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch> on 2003/02/17 16:51:21 UTC

closing cocoon-docs? (was: Cocoon Project Report)

Le Lundi, 17 fév 2003, à 14:41 Europe/Zurich, Sylvain Wallez a écrit :

> So what about closing cocoon-docs ? This would avoid believing some
> mysterious entities are writing the docs for us...

I'd give a reluctant +1 to this proposal.

Reluctant because I thought a separate docs list would allow more
people to help with the docs without having to care about core
development issues - but this has not happened, or not much.

Actually the wiki has taken this role by allowing non-developers to
make great contributions to the overall docs effort, so I agree that
going back to [doc] subject lines on cocoon-dev makes sense at this
point for docs-related stuff.

We shouldn't expect miracles from having cocoon-docs or not, but it
might help at this point.

-Bertrand

Re: closing cocoon-docs?

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Le Lundi, 17 fév 2003, à 14:41 Europe/Zurich, Sylvain Wallez a écrit :

>> So what about closing cocoon-docs ? This would avoid believing some
>> mysterious entities are writing the docs for us...
>

> I'd give a reluctant +1 to this proposal.

I'd be +1 as well.

> Reluctant because I thought a separate docs list would allow more people
> to help with the docs without having to care about core development
> issues - but this has not happened, or not much.

Ok

> Actually the wiki has taken this role by allowing non-developers to make
> great contributions to the overall docs effort, so I agree that going
> back to [doc] subject lines on cocoon-dev makes sense at this point for
> docs-related stuff.

I agree.

> We shouldn't expect miracles from having cocoon-docs or not, but it
> might help at this point.

If there is no documentation team, there should not be a separate CVS
nor a separate mail list.

Also, documentation will have to go along with the blocks that contain
that code and we'll have to write a wiki that is able to generate xml
documentation.

--
Stefano Mazzocchi                               <st...@apache.org>

Re: closing cocoon-docs? (was: Cocoon Project Report)

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Tuesday 18 February 2003 12:37, David Crossley wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> My main point is that we just need to refrain from using the
> term "documentation team". This gives an erroneous impression.

The cocoon-users' wiki effort could perhaps be tapped into better, by granting
some of these users commit rights to the "official" documentation.

Then you would GET the "documentation team".

And keeping the cocoon-docs mailing list as the "market place" for documenters
and developers, such as complex questions that only developers knows, or
planning new features and the documents for it.

Niclas

Re: closing cocoon-docs? (was: Cocoon Project Report)

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:

> My main point is that we just need to refrain from using the
> term "documentation team". This gives an erroneous impression.

I will, no matter what cocoon-docs will be.

Apologies if this has caused troubles.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> > Sylvain Wallez a écrit :

> >> So what about closing cocoon-docs ? This would avoid believing some
> >> mysterious entities are writing the docs for us...
> >
> > I'd give a reluctant +1 to this proposal.
>
> I'd give a sure -1 to this proposal ;-)
>
> > Reluctant because I thought a separate docs list would allow more people
> > to help with the docs without having to care about core development
> > issues - but this has not happened, or not much.
>
> It has. It allows people to help with the docs without having to care
> about core development issues. It has ups and downs, but IMHO the
> traffic is not bad at all.
>
> > Actually the wiki has taken this role by allowing non-developers to make
> > great contributions to the overall docs effort, so I agree that going
> > back to [doc] subject lines on cocoon-dev makes sense at this point for
> > docs-related stuff.
>
> And cocoon-docs is really the list where it's easy to overview such
> contributions. cocoon-dev alrealy has a too high mail count, and all the
> wiki diffs here would make the noise too high.
>
> Instead of closing cocoon-docs, I would suggest that the committers
> should go on cocoon-docs too.

I agree with Nicola Ken. Rather than closing the facilities,
we need to utilise them properly. Actually, back when we were
talking about starting the cocoon-docs list, it was already
suggested that it would only work if all committers were on
that list and if doc-related discussion happened there rather
than just Cc from elsewhere.

My main point is that we just need to refrain from using the
term "documentation team". This gives an erroneous impression.
--David

Re: closing cocoon-docs? (was: Cocoon Project Report)

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote, On 17/02/2003 16.51:
> Le Lundi, 17 fév 2003, à 14:41 Europe/Zurich, Sylvain Wallez a écrit :

>> So what about closing cocoon-docs ? This would avoid believing some
>> mysterious entities are writing the docs for us...
>

> I'd give a reluctant +1 to this proposal.

I'd give a sure -1 to this proposal ;-)

> Reluctant because I thought a separate docs list would allow more people
> to help with the docs without having to care about core development
> issues - but this has not happened, or not much.

It has. It allows people to help with the docs without having to care
about core development issues. It has ups and downs, but IMHO the
traffic is not bad at all.

> Actually the wiki has taken this role by allowing non-developers to make
> great contributions to the overall docs effort, so I agree that going
> back to [doc] subject lines on cocoon-dev makes sense at this point for
> docs-related stuff.

And cocoon-docs is really the list where it's easy to overview such
contributions. cocoon-dev alrealy has a too high mail count, and all the
wiki diffs here would make the noise too high.

Instead of closing cocoon-docs, I would suggest that the committers
should go on cocoon-docs too.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -