Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org> on 2017/10/02 14:50:22 UTC

Re: [Site] Improving the main site

Hi,

On Sat, 2017-09-30 at 12:09 +0200, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we discussed last week at the hackathon a little bit on how to
> improve
> our site. With the move to git and the new system it should be
> easier.
>
> Looking at the main site, there is a lot of stuff there which we
> probably shouldn't have.
>
> News/Releases
>
> The "news" section is more or less just listing releases, so we can
> move
> this to a separate "releases" page. We can then decide whether we can
> come up with real news like once or twice a month. For example we
> could
> have mentioned adaptTo there etc.

+1, not sure how relevant this is for site visitors.

> History
>
> The history section is nice for us, but I guess everyone new to Sling
> does not find any value in this. So we should move this to a separate
> history page, and maybe add a little bit there. Or we add this simply
> as
> the oldest entries of the news page and avoid having a new page no
> one
> really looks at.

+1 for moving out of the main page. People curious about history will
look for it.

> Use Cases
>
> Again I'm not sure about the value for new users. So rather removing
> it
> or moving it to a use cases page.

I'd say drop it completely and link to a page of applications built on
top of Sling - commercial and open source. Rather than tell our users
what they can do, let's show them :-)

Maybe also include the Sling samples here.

> References
>
> I think we confuse people with listing all this different parts on
> the
> front page. So removing it and moving it to a references page might
> be
> better.

+1

> This would keep our main page fairly short and we just need to
> improve
> the introduction "Sling in 100 words"

+1. Let's just find a volunteer :-)

Robert

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Oct 2, 2017 at 4:50 PM, Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 2017-09-30 at 12:09 +0200, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> we discussed last week at the hackathon a little bit on how to
>> improve
>> our site. With the move to git and the new system it should be
>> easier.
>>
>> Looking at the main site, there is a lot of stuff there which we
>> probably shouldn't have.
>>
>> News/Releases
>>
>> The "news" section is more or less just listing releases, so we can
>> move
>> this to a separate "releases" page. We can then decide whether we can
>> come up with real news like once or twice a month. For example we
>> could
>> have mentioned adaptTo there etc.
>
> +1, not sure how relevant this is for site visitors.
>

>> History
>>
>> The history section is nice for us, but I guess everyone new to Sling
>> does not find any value in this. So we should move this to a separate
>> history page, and maybe add a little bit there. Or we add this simply
>> as
>> the oldest entries of the news page and avoid having a new page no
>> one
>> really looks at.
>
> +1 for moving out of the main page. People curious about history will
> look for it.
>>
>> Use Cases
>>
>> Again I'm not sure about the value for new users. So rather removing
>> it
>> or moving it to a use cases page.
>
> I'd say drop it completely and link to a page of applications built on
> top of Sling - commercial and open source. Rather than tell our users
> what they can do, let's show them :-)
>
> Maybe also include the Sling samples here.
>

>> References
>>
>> I think we confuse people with listing all this different parts on
>> the
>> front page. So removing it and moving it to a references page might
>> be
>> better.
>
> +1
>

>> This would keep our main page fairly short and we just need to
>> improve
>> the introduction "Sling in 100 words"
>
> +1. Let's just find a volunteer :-)
>
> Robert