Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Carl Boudreau <ca...@notiva.com> on 2001/11/07 15:25:59 UTC

What is the need to run Apache and Tomcat together?

I have noticed there are a few questions about running these to app
together.  Doesn't Tomcat 4.0 run well on it's own?

Carl

Re: What is the need to run Apache and Tomcat together?

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
Carl Boudreau wrote:

> I have noticed there are a few questions about running these to app
> together.  Doesn't Tomcat 4.0 run well on it's own?

Apache serves static files a lot faster than Tomcat does. As a result,
using Apache+Tomcat can improve performance - static files will be
served by Apache, dynamic ones will be generated by Tomcat, all within
the same web tree.

You might choose to run Tomcat on it's own if the performance penalty
can be lived with, and you're interested in simple installation instead.

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street