Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Eric Kolotyluk <er...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/23 16:30:46 UTC

Referencing a parent POM without relativePath

I am playing around with getting our Corporate POM process working
correctly, but running into problems.

I have things configured so that people need to reference it without using
<relativePath>blah</relativePath> because I want them to get it from the
repository and not from Perforce. In particular, I don't want to force
people to make their project POM dependent on some arbitrary place that the
Corporate POM is mapped from source control.

This works well if the Corporate POM is already in the local repository,
but fails completely if it is not in the local repository. Even when the
Corporate POM is in Nexus, Maven will not look there for it. Is there
something I can put in the settings.xml that will force Maven to get the
Corporate POM from Nexus?

Currently people are forced to 'seed' their local repository with the
Corporate POM, which is really a hassle.

What do other people do who have a top level or Corporate POM for all their
projects?

Cheers, Eric

Re: Referencing a parent POM without relativePath

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 12:05 PM, Laird Nelson <lj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 11:22 AM, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> You just name the G/A/V and no relativePath, and Maven will download
>> just as it would a dependency.
>>

> Well, not exactly; if there is no <relativePath> element present, then
> Maven behaves as though <relativePath>../pom.xml</relativePath> were
> specified.  If that file is a working copy that has not been refreshed from
> the SCM, then problems can ensue.

You only ever need an empty relativePath element when there is an
unwanted pom sitting in .. that you need to discourage Maven from
paying attention to.

Posted by Laird Nelson <lj...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 3:37 PM, Curtis Rueden <ct...@wisc.edu> wrote:

> However, I still think it worth noting, since it is a related issue with
> Maven's behavior with respect to "doing the right thing" with relativePaths

Indeed.  For us, implicit relative path behavior (of ../pom.xml) shows up
commonly when someone has a local ../pom.xml in their Subversion workspace
that for some reason they haven't svn updated.  Then they do a build of the
./pom.xml project (i.e. the child, not the parent) and get what seems to
them to be bizarre results (i.e. that do not include the most recently
deployed-to-the-corporate-repo ../pom.xml copy but instead occur because
../pom.xml is out of date and is silently being used by Maven instead of
the (updated) Nexus/repo copy).  An svn update of that ../pom.xml obviously
fixes the issue (assuming that the version deployed to the repo is the
same, of course).  For this reason it seems that we would want to use
<relativePath/> throughout our system.  Does that sound right?

Best,
Laird

--
http://about.me/lairdnelson

Re: Referencing a parent POM without relativePath

Posted by Curtis Rueden <ct...@wisc.edu>.
Hi Benson,

> No, that's not what this issue says. This issue deals with the case
> where there IS a ../pom.xml but it's the wrong ../pom.xml.

Indeed, my apologies.

However, I still think it worth noting, since it is a related issue with
Maven's behavior with respect to "doing the right thing" with relativePaths.

Regards,
Curtis

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Curtis Rueden <ct...@wisc.edu>.
Hi Eric & everyone,

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.

Posted by Eric Kolotyluk <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Karr <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Kolotyluk <er...@gmail.com>.
This problem is resolved. I forgot to bring up my VPN connections, so my
local system could not see the Nexus server.

I apologize for the confusion.

Cheers, Eric

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 12:11 PM, Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net> wrote:
> Well, the corp pom should not be in the parent folder of any project. It's
> a standalone project.

Well, precisely. 99% of the time you run 'svn co', and you get a
directory in which ../pom.xml does not exist, and running mvn causes
mvn to go out to repositories. If someone has a counter-example, we
need a test case.

Posted by Laird Nelson <lj...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 12:11 PM, Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net> wrote:

> Well, the corp pom should not be in the parent folder of any project. It's
> a standalone project.

Yes; sorry if I contributed noise--my point was only to call attention to
what the absence of <relativePath> meant, not to comment on any particular
project layout.

Best,
Laird

--
http://about.me/lairdnelson

Re: Referencing a parent POM without relativePath

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.

Posted by Laird Nelson <lj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Why don't you think that Maven will fish out a disconnected parent
from Nexus? Many builds all over depend on this behavior.

You just name the G/A/V and no relativePath, and Maven will download
just as it would a dependency.

If this isn't working for you we'd need more information to diagnose.