Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Stas Oskin <st...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/10 18:11:45 UTC

Two degrees of replications reliability

Hi.

I know that there were some hard to find bugs with replication set to 2,
which caused data loss to HDFS users.

Was there any progress with these issues, and if there any fixes which were
introduced?

Regards.

Re: Two degrees of replications reliability

Posted by Brian Bockelman <bb...@cse.unl.edu>.
On Apr 10, 2009, at 1:54 PM, Stas Oskin wrote:

> Actually, now I remember that you posted some time ago about your
> University
> loosing about 300 files.
> So since then the situation has improved I presume?

Yup!  The only files we lose now are due to multiple simultaneous
hardware loss.  Since January: 11 files to accidentally reformatting 2
nodes at once, 35 to a night with 2 dead nodes.  Make no mistake -
HDFS with 2 replicas is *not* an archive-quality file system.  HDFS
does not replace tape storage for long term storage.

Brian

Posted by Stas Oskin <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brian Bockelman <bb...@cse.unl.edu>.
On Apr 10, 2009, at 2:06 PM, Todd Lipcon wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 12:03 PM, Brian Bockelman <bbockelm@cse.unl.edu
> >wrote:
>

>> 0.19.1 with a few convenience patches (mostly, they improve logging
>> so the
>> local file system researchers can play around with our data
>> patterns).
>>

> Hey Brian,
>
> I'm curious about this. Could you elaborate a bit on what kind of
> stuff
> you're logging? I'm interested in what FS metrics you're looking at
> and how
> you instrumented the code.
>
> -Todd

No clue what they're doing *with* the data, but I know what we've
applied to HDFS to get the data.  We apply both of these patches:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-5222

This adds the duration and offset to each read.  Each read is then
logged through the HDFS audit mechanisms.  We've been pulling the logs
through the web interface and putting them back into HDFS, then
processing them (actually, today we've been playing with log
collection via Chukwa).

There is a student who is looking at our cluster's I/O access
patterns, and there's a few folks who do work in designing metadata
caching algorithms that love to see application traces.  Personally,
I'm interested in hooking the logfiles up to our I/O accounting system
so I can keep historical records of transfers and compare it to our
other file systems.

Brian

Re: Two degrees of replications reliability

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Brian Bockelman <bb...@cse.unl.edu>.

Posted by Stas Oskin <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brian Bockelman <bb...@cse.unl.edu>.