Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Bryce Curtis <cu...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/21 21:20:55 UTC

Globalization Plugin

The globalization plugin was contributed by IBM about a year ago and
posted on phonegap-plugins repo.  Since then, we have gotten numerous
requests for it to become part of core Cordova.  It addresses many of
the globalization issues that are encountered by our worldwide
community, that we often overlook or forget about being in the
US/Canada.  If there are no objections, I'd like to migrate for 2.2.0.

Thanks,
Bryce

Re: Globalization Plugin

Posted by Giorgio Natili <g....@gnstudio.com>.
Hi Simon,

It seems you covered everything, great job!
Next time I'll try to be faster, sorry but I'm still on some legacy
projects an sometime I'm just overloaded.

Giorgio

Re: Globalization Plugin

Posted by Simon MacDonald <si...@gmail.com>.
Hey Giorgio,

Re: Globalization Plugin

Posted by Giorgio Natili <g....@gnstudio.com>.

Re: Globalization Plugin

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.

Re: Globalization Plugin

Posted by Giorgio Natili <g....@gnstudio.com>.
Yes it is...

Re: Globalization Plugin

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.

Re: Globalization Plugin

Posted by Giorgio Natili <g....@gnstudio.com>.

Re: Globalization Plugin

Posted by Giorgio Natili <g....@gnstudio.com>.
Hi,

Posted by gt...@gmail.com.
Feel free to ping me for any jasmine to qunit questions as I did most of the port of mobile-spec and cordova.js

Thanks a bunch for volunteering to look at porting the QUnit tests to
Jasmine!

Android:
https://github.com/phonegap/phonegap-plugins/blob/master/Android/Globalization/globalization.tests.js
BlackBerry:
https://github.com/phonegap/phonegap-plugins/blob/master/BlackBerry/Globalization/globalization.tests.js

Re: Globalization Plugin

Posted by Michael Brooks <mi...@michaelbrooks.ca>.
Hi Giorgio,

Re: Globalization Plugin

Posted by Giorgio Natili <g....@gnstudio.com>.
Hi All,

Re: Globalization Plugin

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Re: Globalization Plugin

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.

Re: Globalization Plugin

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Re: Globalization Plugin

Posted by Brion Vibber <br...@pobox.com>.

Re: Globalization Plugin

Posted by Michael Brooks <mi...@michaelbrooks.ca>.
TLDR; I'd like to see the Globalization plugin added to Apache Cordova.
It's popular, useful, and battle tested. However, it's not fair to weigh
down all of the unsupported platforms without their buy-in. It also needs
to have the test suite re-written with Jasmine.

When Apache Cordova adopts a plugin, there are a few points that we should
consider:

1. Follows a W3C standard... when there is a standard.

I've done a brief scan, but can't find any W3C standards around
globalization / localization. Has anyone else found anything?

2. Supports all of our platforms.

Adopting a plugin is an additional maintenance cost for each platform. By
officially adopting a plugin, we're making a promise that the plugin will
work on all of our platforms.

At the moment, the Globalization plugin appears to support Android. iOS,
and BlackBerry (Java). This means we're dumping a load of work on platform
leads to add support for BlackBerry (Air), Bada, webOS, and WP7.

3. Has tests written with Jasmine.

Every plugin needs to have tests written in our standard test runner -
Jasmine. It's awesome that the Globalization plugin has tests written, but
they are currently in QUnit. Someone will need to convert these to Jasmine.

Michael

Re: Globalization Plugin

Posted by Simon MacDonald <si...@gmail.com>.
+1

+10 if we can support my native Cape Bretonese.

Simon Mac Donald
http://hi.im/simonmacdonald

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 8:32 PM, Shazron <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1
>
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 2:57 PM, Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io> wrote:
>> the top five languages for phonegap.com are:
>>
>> 1. english
>> 2. spanish
>> 3. german
>> 4. french
>> 5. chinese
>>
>> +1 for globalization moving to core
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 12:20 PM, Bryce Curtis <cu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> The globalization plugin was contributed by IBM about a year ago and
>>> posted on phonegap-plugins repo.  Since then, we have gotten numerous
>>> requests for it to become part of core Cordova.  It addresses many of
>>> the globalization issues that are encountered by our worldwide
>>> community, that we often overlook or forget about being in the
>>> US/Canada.  If there are no objections, I'd like to migrate for 2.2.0.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Bryce

Re: Globalization Plugin

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.