Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org> on 2015/11/04 17:39:08 UTC

Requirements for taking patches from LibreOffice contributors?

Hi

In a private email exchange, I got a developer that wrote a patch for
LibreOffice to agree to also license that patch under the Apache License
version 2 so we can use it.

Now can I just take that patch from LibreOffice and apply it, with a
"Patch-by:" tag specifying this developer, or do we first need that
developer to attach that patch to our bug in Bugzilla, and a CLA signed if
it's a large patch?

Thank you
Damjan

RE: Requirements for taking patches from LibreOffice contributors?

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <or...@apache.org>.
The requirement is that it be a willing contribution by someone who has the authority to do so.

Having the patch contributed via Bugzilla provides the necessary auditability for that.  Then committing the patch or an adaptation of it can be traced back from the SVN commit via the committer who incorporates the patch in AOO.

If it is a substantial patch, it would be good to request a signed iCLA after reviewing the patch.  It might not be needed immediately.  Let's see what the actual circumstances are.

 - Dennis