Posted to user@poi.apache.org by paulchen <pa...@alumni.nd.edu> on 2009/06/01 18:05:32 UTC

Re: block[ 0 ] already removed - does your POIFS have circular or duplicate block references?

Christian Junker-2 wrote:

> I can't get POI to open this
> http://sik.dk/var/storage/elinstallatoerregister.xls
> Tried different versions. Latest 3.5 beta 5.
> Excel can open the file.
> Is there any way I can get POI to open this?
>
> java.io.IOException: block[ 0 ] already removed - does your POIFS have
> circular or duplicate block references?
> 	at
> org.apache.poi.poifs.storage.BlockListImpl.remove(BlockListImpl.java:97)

I ran into the same stacktrace while attempting to use Java libraries (poi
and jexcelapi) to read Microsoft Excel files.  In my case, the Excel file I
am trying to read is generated using PERL's Spreadsheet::WriteExcel library.
I discovered the "compatibility_mode" method and asked the author of the
script to call this method after the workbook was created.

See:
http://search.cpan.org/dist/Spreadsheet-WriteExcel/lib/Spreadsheet/WriteExcel.pm#compatibility_mode()

This fixed the problem for me.

Regards,