Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Stefan Burkard <sb...@previon.ch> on 2004/02/15 18:22:16 UTC

woody/flowscript and URI-problem

hi there

i've got a problem with the combination of woody/flowscript and URIs. i
followed the registration-example in the cocoon-wiki that uses woody and
flowscript. that runs perfectly.

as i changed this example step by step to my needs, i arrived with this
problem:
i'm putting the locale for i18n in the URI of all requests, for example
"/en/woodyform.xml" that runs also fine to build the form.

but when i submit the form i use the construct
"#{$continuation/id}.continue" as the form-action. the complete request
  is then "en/[id].continue" and i have a sitemap-entry that matches
this post with "*/*.continue" and i pass the pure id with <map:call
continuation="{2}"/> but this ends with the error "Resource Not Found".

to test that the sitemap really calls this code, i changed the value of
the continuation like this <map:call continuation="{1}/{2}"/> and i get
- correctly - an error, so it runs the correct code in the sitemap

finally my question: isn't it possible to submit the continuation-id
with any other information in the URI? if i switch back all my files to
a URI without locale everythings ok again!

thanks and greetings
stefan

Re: woody/flowscript and URI-problem

Posted by Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>.
On Sun, 2004-02-15 at 18:22, Stefan Burkard wrote:
> hi there
>
> i've got a problem with the combination of woody/flowscript and URIs. i
> followed the registration-example in the cocoon-wiki that uses woody and
> flowscript. that runs perfectly.
>
> as i changed this example step by step to my needs, i arrived with this
> problem:
> i'm putting the locale for i18n in the URI of all requests, for example
> "/en/woodyform.xml" that runs also fine to build the form.
>
> but when i submit the form i use the construct
> "#{$continuation/id}.continue" as the form-action. the complete request
>   is then "en/[id].continue" and i have a sitemap-entry that matches
> this post with "*/*.continue" and i pass the pure id with <map:call
> continuation="{2}"/> but this ends with the error "Resource Not Found".
>
> to test that the sitemap really calls this code, i changed the value of
> the continuation like this <map:call continuation="{1}/{2}"/> and i get
> - correctly - an error, so it runs the correct code in the sitemap
>
> finally my question: isn't it possible to submit the continuation-id
> with any other information in the URI?

Nope, that should work just fine.

The problem I usually run into is that my URL path gets longer each
request, i.e. the form is initially displayed on this URL:

/x/y/en/form

and with each form submit, the URL gets a bit longer:

/x/y/en/en/2332.continue
/x/y/en/en/en/54343.continue

Therefore I usually put an absolute URL in the form action.

However, since you're sure the code inside that matcher gets executed,
it's probably something else.

Re: woody/flowscript and URI-problem

Posted by Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>.
On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 16:12, Jan Hoskens wrote:
> > If you're following an "as long as it works its fine" attitude, yes. The
> > fact that resources should be identified by URL's is basic web
> > architecture though.
>
> What are you referring to with 'basic web architecture'? Is there anyting
> more I should know?
> (Just trying to learn a bit ;-)

Haven't read the document myself yet, but this should provide a good
intro:

http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/

The part below "2. Identification" is certainly relevant here.

Quote: "A URI must be assigned to a resource in order for agents to be
able to refer to the resource.", which is IMO a pretty good reason to
give your resources URI's.

For example, to go back to the flowscript-case, if I put the
continuation ID in the URL, I could throw the URL in my chat client, you
can click on it and continue the flow where I left it (assuming all
authentication is OK).

Also relevant here is the whole ReST story, I remember Paul Prescod had
some good intro articles on that on xml.com.

Re: woody/flowscript and URI-problem

Posted by Jan Hoskens <jh...@schaubroeck.be>.
> If you're following an "as long as it works its fine" attitude, yes. The
> fact that resources should be identified by URL's is basic web
> architecture though.

What are you referring to with 'basic web architecture'? Is there anyting
more I should know?
(Just trying to learn a bit ;-)

Kind Regards,

Jan

Re: woody/flowscript and URI-problem

Posted by Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>.

Posted by Jan Hoskens <jh...@schaubroeck.be>.
> I prefer to see the the continuation ID's in the URL. I see the
> continuations as resources existing on the server (temporary resources
> then), and a resource should be addressed by an URL.
>
> The URL-structure I'm currently using is as follows. Suppose the thing
> we're editing is an "order", then I would have the following URL's:
>
> /orders/<order-id> : displays the order
> /orders/<order-id>/edit : start the flow for editing
> /orders/<order-id>/edit/<continuation-id> : continue the editing flow
> /orders/new : creates a new order
>               (flow then continues at /orders/new/edit/...)
> /orders : display list of all orders
>
> the paths can of course be prefixed by whatever you like (like an
> application and language identifying part).
>
> Note that I don't use (and don't need to use) the ".continue" part after
> the continuation-id.

Well it's just a matter of taste, isn't it? As long as you pass your
continuation-id and catch it at the right place in your sitemap, there won't
be any problem.

Bye,

Jan

Re: woody/flowscript and URI-problem

Posted by Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>.

Posted by Jan Hoskens <jh...@schaubroeck.be>.
> to test that the sitemap really calls this code, i changed the value of
> the continuation like this <map:call continuation="{1}/{2}"/> and i get
> - correctly - an error, so it runs the correct code in the sitemap
>
> finally my question: isn't it possible to submit the continuation-id
> with any other information in the URI? if i switch back all my files to
> a URI without locale everythings ok again!

I use flowscript with my continuation id in a hidden request field. My uri
is whatever I like, just something to recognize the uri so I know when I
have to check the requestparameter and call the continuation (sometthing
like edit.continue). Is this what you mean? I don't see why you're getting
your error, it should work if the {2} is your continuationid, maybe a little
more information would help.

Greetings Jan