Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/20 16:33:25 UTC

Spring OSGi bundles no longer being released

Hi

So I have been waiting for Spring to release Spring 3.2.5 or newer as
OSGi bundle on their EBR repo at
http://ebr.springsource.com/repository/

The last release available is 3.2.4.

I asked on twitter and got this reply
https://twitter.com/glynnormington/status/425280920888016896

Also if you see the FAQ here, it says the repo is frozen
http://ebr.springsource.com/repository/app/faq

And that it may not be online anymore after September 2014.

Glyn, refers to Eclipse EBR but it looks like they have not taken over
doing Spring OSGi release
http://www.eclipse.org/ebr/

So down the road we have 2 problems

1)
Spring 3.2.4 is the last OSGi bundle release

2)
The Spring EBR repo will be taken offline in the future

So any thoughts what we can do?

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Re: Spring OSGi bundles no longer being released

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Sure, I can tackle both 3.2.x and 4.0.x release.

For Spring 4.0.0 and Spring-DM, I have to check.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Spring OSGi bundles no longer being released

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Claus,

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
And some more information about the Spring OSGi bundles being dropped,
and some explanation of how they did the bundles in the past, etc.
http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/513222/

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Good point Christian.

As Spring won't really support "publicly (via EBR)" OSGi bundles, we may
have issue in Spring running on OSGi.

When using our own bundles, we can add a note to warn the users.

Regards
JB

Posted by Krzysztof Sobkowiak <kr...@gmail.com>.
I don't want to compete with Spring too, Spring has a lot of power and
features. It's better to give the user more flexibility and ability to
choose their favorite way to develop bundles.

--
Krzysztof Sobkowiak

JEE & OSS Architect | Technical Architect @ Capgemini
Capgemini <http://www.pl.capgemini.com/> | Software Solutions Center
<http://www.pl.capgemini-sdm.com/> | Wroclaw
e-mail: krzys.sobkowiak@gmail.com <ma...@gmail.com> |
Twitter: @KSobkowiak

Re: Spring OSGi bundles no longer being released

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Yeah, agree.

Posted by Krzysztof Sobkowiak <kr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
Somehow I wonder how well future spring versions will behave in OSGi.
I think we should start to at least warn our users that continued use of
spring in OSGi is an increasing risk.

Christian

Am 20.01.2014 16:33, schrieb Claus Ibsen:
> Hi
>
> So I have been waiting for Spring to release Spring 3.2.5 or newer as
> OSGi bundle on their EBR repo at
> http://ebr.springsource.com/repository/
>
> The last release available is 3.2.4.
>
> I asked on twitter and got this reply
> https://twitter.com/glynnormington/status/425280920888016896
>
> Also if you see the FAQ here, it says the repo is frozen
> http://ebr.springsource.com/repository/app/faq
>
> And that it may not be online anymore after September 2014.
>
> Glyn, refers to Eclipse EBR but it looks like they have not taken over
> doing Spring OSGi release
> http://www.eclipse.org/ebr/
>

> So down the road we have 2 problems
>
> 1)
> Spring 3.2.4 is the last OSGi bundle release
>
> 2)
> The Spring EBR repo will be taken offline in the future
>

> So any thoughts what we can do?

--

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect

Re: Spring OSGi bundles no longer being released

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Krzysztof,

thanks for the link.

It comforts me that we should manage the bundles ourself (as we do for a
bunch of bundles in ServiceMix) ;)

At ServiceMix, we already have templates (not specific to Spring but
very complete for most of the use cases), and I do a release every month
(so we can very quickly update and publish new Spring versions).

Regards
JB

Posted by Krzysztof Sobkowiak <kr...@gmail.com>.
Hi