Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Steve Bertrand <ia...@ibctech.ca> on 2004/07/07 17:51:21 UTC

Custom rulesets

I am interested in implementing some new custom rulesets into my
spamassassin configuration.

I'm running a qmail mail toaster (Matt Simmerson's), and everything is
working great. I have two questions:

1> Do the kind people here on this list recommend using new rulesets that
are not part of the core spamassassin distribution, and;

2> I have put my new ruleset.cf files in the config directory
(/usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin) which is where the local.cf file is
located. I know this file is being loaded, but the new *.cf's are not. My
understanding is that a simple spamd reload should locate and use these
files, but this is apparently not so. I send messages through spamassassin
containing words in the new rulesets and they do not get checked. Is there
something I am missing? AFAICT from the information I have grabbed from
the web I shouldn't have to do anything but drop them in the directory.

Tks.

Steve

Re: Custom rulesets

Posted by Steve Bertrand <ia...@ibctech.ca>.
> I am interested in implementing some new custom rulesets into my
> spamassassin configuration.
>
> I'm running a qmail mail toaster (Matt Simmerson's), and everything is
> working great. I have two questions:
>
> 1> Do the kind people here on this list recommend using new rulesets that
> are not part of the core spamassassin distribution, and;
>
> 2> I have put my new ruleset.cf files in the config directory
> (/usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin) which is where the local.cf file is
> located. I know this file is being loaded, but the new *.cf's are not. My
> understanding is that a simple spamd reload should locate and use these
> files, but this is apparently not so. I send messages through spamassassin
> containing words in the new rulesets and they do not get checked. Is there
> something I am missing? AFAICT from the information I have grabbed from
> the web I shouldn't have to do anything but drop them in the directory.

My apologies...they seemed to have kicked in. I have verified that the new
rulesets are indeed working correctly. I'd still like to get insight into
whether this is recommended though.

Tks,

Steve

Re: Custom rulesets

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
At 11:51 AM 7/7/2004, Steve Bertrand wrote:
>1> Do the kind people here on this list recommend using new rulesets that
>are not part of the core spamassassin distribution, and;

I'm hardly a neutral unbiased opinion, however I do think using add-on
rulesets is a good idea, if done with proper care.

These are a few cautionary points I'd suggest considering:
         1) watch your RAM usage. Some of the add on sets are rather large
and chew up a LOT of memory. (bigevil and sa-blacklist are notable examples).
         2) I'd suggest adding a small number of rulesets at a time,
monitor their results, then add more if you feel the need.
         3) be aware that some of the rules have some potential FPs.. Check
the mass-check listings, and keep an eye on your own results.
         4) I'd suggest choosing rulesets that are designed to address
specific problems you have, as opposed to just grabbing a handful of
rulesets "just in case".