Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Luc Saint-Elie <ls...@imaginet.fr> on 1999/11/10 21:10:01 UTC

Changes FAQ

Hello

Tomcat grows pretty quickly (and to answer a previous question is pretty
usable in its current form, we here use it in an intranet without problem)
but 2.2 API has some changes from 2.1

For example expresso from www.javacorporate.com compiles with 2.1 but not
with 2.2 because a getServletName( problem

(com\javacorporate\common\servlet\StdServlet.java:111: The method
java.lang.String getServletName() declared in class
com.javacorporate.common.servlet.StdServlet cannot override the method of
the same signature declared in class javax.servlet.GenericServlet.  The
access modifier is made more restrictive.)

If there are several other point that could break things it would be great
to maintain a porting FAQ (I'm volunteer to maintain it)
| Luc Saint-Elie                                 |
| 53, rue Caulaincourt                           |
| 75018  Paris France                            |
| Tel: 01 42 52 09 62 / 06 12 90 19 65           |
| email : team@interpasnet.com                   |
|  Java Server Side  Open Source technologies    |
|       http://www.interpasnet.com/JSS           |

Re: Changes FAQ

Posted by "Anil K. Vijendran" <An...@eng.sun.com>.
I agree it would be good to have a Changes document. That would make a lot
more sense once we start having releases (happening soon). I don't think the
Changes document should list all specification changes. There is a place for
that and that is in the specification. It should be enough for us to say in
the Changes document for example that a new release implements Servlet 2.2.

We should checkin a Changes file into the repository after the first milestone
build. After that people can start editing it everytime someone adds a new
feature or fixes a bug.

Luc Saint-Elie wrote:

> Hello
>
> Tomcat grows pretty quickly (and to answer a previous question is pretty
> usable in its current form, we here use it in an intranet without problem)
> but 2.2 API has some changes from 2.1
>
> For example expresso from www.javacorporate.com compiles with 2.1 but not
> with 2.2 because a getServletName( problem
>
> (com\javacorporate\common\servlet\StdServlet.java:111: The method
> java.lang.String getServletName() declared in class
> com.javacorporate.common.servlet.StdServlet cannot override the method of
> the same signature declared in class javax.servlet.GenericServlet.  The
> access modifier is made more restrictive.)
>
> If there are several other point that could break things it would be great
> to maintain a porting FAQ (I'm volunteer to maintain it)
> | Luc Saint-Elie                                 |
> | 53, rue Caulaincourt                           |
> | 75018  Paris France                            |
> | Tel: 01 42 52 09 62 / 06 12 90 19 65           |
> | email : team@interpasnet.com                   |

Peace, Anil +<:-)