Posted to users@flex.apache.org by jude <fl...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/19 22:45:24 UTC

FYI Flash and Flex and W3 standards

With all the misinformation out there about Flash not being apart of "web
standards" (although without it the web would "break") I found this page on
W3 from 2004 that recognizes Flash and Flex as a viable and accessible
"canvas" for content right along side HTML Canvas tag (before it was called
HTML5),

http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG-TECHS/
http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG-TECHS/flash.html

Re: FYI Flash and Flex and W3 standards

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.
I found this will researching accessibility with the Canvas tag,

The Canvas tag was introduced to the JavaScript community around 2005. The
> tag provides a set of image processing commands and enables low level
> control of graphics, with enough expressivity to replace some browser
> plugins. Accessibility has been critical issue with the Canvas API. With
> most HTML tags, the operating system is informed when an area of the screen
> is a button (example) <http://www.jumis.com/cme-button.html>, it's also
> given the name of that button. That information can then be passed onto
> other software. With Canvas, the developer may neglect to inform the
> operating system. Canvas is a low level API, and so authors must do more
> work than is required of high level APIs. The CME-WCAG draft<http://www.jumis.com/cme-wcag.html> begins
> the process of documenting techniques that programmers can use to make
> their Canvas-based components accessible to the operating system. A
> supplemental CANVAS-TECHS <http://www.jumis.com/cme-tech.html> draft
> provides structured coding examples in the style of WCAG-TECHS<http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG-TECHS/>
> .

Source - http://www.jumis.com/

To clarify, for anyone interested, one person, one of my goals in working
on Flex and Flash is to be able to publish to HTML *in addition to* the
current supported target platforms and where appropriate. :P