Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Paul Simon <wr...@yahoo.com> on 2002/10/03 14:14:48 UTC

install/config mod_perl-2(1.99_08)

Is there something in the configuration not jiving?

Windows 2000, Apache 2.0.42, mod_perl-2(1.99_08-dev via ppm)

In http.conf I have:
Include conf/test.conf
AddHandler cgi-script .cgi

In test.conf I have:
PerlRequire "C:/Apache2/conf/startup.pl"
<Location /test/>
     Options +ExecCGI
     SetHandler perl-script
     PerlResponseHandler ModPerl::Registry
     PerlOptions +ParseHeaders
</Location>
#ScriptAlias /test/ "C:/Apache2/htdocs/test/"

startup.pl looks like:
#!C:/Perl/bin/Perl.exe
use Apache2();
use ModPerl::Registry ();
1;

Apache starts up. I can see mod_perl loaded in via server-status.  And when I call just the directory /test/, this what I get in the error log:

[error] 1932: ModPerl::Registry: C:/Apache2/htdocs/test/ not found or unable to stat

If I try to call index.cgi under /test/index.cgi, the page just hangs. index.cgi works as a straight CGI page. Here it is:
#!C:/Perl/bin/Perl.exe

  print "Content-type: text/plain\n\n";
  print "mod_perl 2.0 rocks!\n";

------- I'll keep trying.  Hopefully, there's an easy solution to this. Thanks.

RE: install/config mod_perl-2(1.99_08)

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, Ben Mathews wrote:

> You say eventually perl 5.8 will be recommended.  Why is it not the
> recommended version now?

That's really Doug's call, but perhaps one consideration holding
back a recommendation of 5.8 on Win32 is that ActiveState won't
be making a perl-5.8 binary in the immediate future, and may wait
until a 5.8.1 is released (5.8 and 5.6 aren't binary compatable,
so this is a major step). And there are some portability things,
for example, with unicode - some modules which rely on the way
5.6.1 deals with this need changes with 5.8.

> I am developing a windows application currently and started out with
> activestate perl 5.6.1, apache 2, and mod_perl 1.99.  I ran into a lot
> of problems and blamed them on mod_perl because it is still rather new.
> Things have progressed smoothly enough using apache versions 1.x and
> mod_perl 1.x
>
> I didn't think of trying perl 5.8, but would be glad to if that is going
> to help things.  I would like the capabilities that Apache and mod_perl
> 2.x give.
>
> Ben

I've found that using 5.8 often is more "stable" than 5.6.1,
as far as mod_perl-2 goes - it's definitely worth trying out
for development.

--
best regards,
randy

RE: install/config mod_perl-2(1.99_08)

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, Paul Simon wrote:

> Is there something in the configuration not jiving?
>
> Windows 2000, Apache 2.0.42, mod_perl-2(1.99_08-dev via ppm)
>
> In http.conf I have:
> Include conf/test.conf
> AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
>
> In test.conf I have:
> PerlRequire "C:/Apache2/conf/startup.pl"
> <Location /test/>
>      Options +ExecCGI
>      SetHandler perl-script
>      PerlResponseHandler ModPerl::Registry
>      PerlOptions +ParseHeaders
> </Location>
> #ScriptAlias /test/ "C:/Apache2/htdocs/test/"
>
> startup.pl looks like:
> #!C:/Perl/bin/Perl.exe
> use Apache2();
> use ModPerl::Registry ();
> 1;
>
> Apache starts up. I can see mod_perl loaded in via
> server-status.  And when I call just the directory /test/, this
> what I get in the error log:
>
> [error] 1932: ModPerl::Registry: C:/Apache2/htdocs/test/ not
> found or unable to stat

This is OK - you normally don't want a directory listing
for locations that have scripts in them.