Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Christoph Kiehl <ck...@sulu3000.de> on 2007/08/15 08:56:56 UTC

Which IDE & coding conventions

Hi!

First: This is definitely not supposed to become a discussion which IDE
is better!

I was just curious which IDEs Jackrabbit developers use. I generally use
Eclipse, but I've got some problems, as Subclipse still does not support
nested projects very well. Do you encounter this as well? Any solutions?
  Or do you use an alternative IDE? I let maven generate the Eclipse
projects for me and the import them as nested projects. Maybe there is a
better way?

Another question I was asking myself is if there is some kind of general
formatter profile for Eclipse and in which order are imports supposed to be?

Cheers,
Christoph

Re: Which IDE & coding conventions

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On 8/15/07, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ....    $ mvn eclipse:eclipse
>
> Then I simply import everything under .../jackrabbit/trunk in Eclipse....

Same here, but I often use

  mvn -DdownloadSources=true eclipse:eclipse

which makes the source code of dependencies (those which provide it at
least) available.

-Bertrand

Re: Which IDE & coding conventions

Posted by Christoph Kiehl <ch...@sulu3000.de>.
Jukka Zitting wrote:

>> Not having nested projects is not an issue to me, as I import the
>> projects "beside" each other, and generally do not care for the parent
>> projects, which I rarely (if ever) touch.
>
> Exactly. My process of setting up a fresh checkout is:
>
>     $ mkdir jackrabbit
>     $ cd jackrabbit
>     $ svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jackrabbit/trunk
>     $ cd trunk
>     $ mvn install
>     $ mvn eclipse:eclipse
>
> Then I simply import everything under .../jackrabbit/trunk in Eclipse.
> You need to have the M2_REPO classpath variable set to get all the
> correct dependencies, and there are a few classpath entries in
> jackrabbit-core that need to be manually fixed.

I see. The problem was I had the "jackrabbit" as a root project as well. I
removed that from my workspace and now everything seems to be fine. Could have
thought of that myself ;p

Thanks,

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 8/15/07, Felix Meschberger <Fe...@day.com> wrote:
> I use Eclipse, too :-)

Me too.

> Not having nested projects is not an issue to me, as I import the
> projects "beside" each other, and generally do not care for the parent
> projects, which I rarely (if ever) touch.

Exactly. My process of setting up a fresh checkout is:

    $ mkdir jackrabbit
    $ cd jackrabbit
    $ svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jackrabbit/trunk
    $ cd trunk
    $ mvn install
    $ mvn eclipse:eclipse

Then I simply import everything under .../jackrabbit/trunk in Eclipse.
You need to have the M2_REPO classpath variable set to get all the
correct dependencies, and there are a few classpath entries in
jackrabbit-core that need to be manually fixed.

For formatting I use the default Java conventions with the
modification that spaces are used instead of tabs for indentation.

> In fact, AFAIK, Jackrabbit does not have any nested projects (any more),
> right ?

Only in contrib. All the release subprojects are directly below trunk.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Which IDE & coding conventions

Posted by Felix Meschberger <Fe...@day.com>.
Hi,

I use Eclipse, too :-)

Not having nested projects is not an issue to me, as I import the
projects "beside" each other, and generally do not care for the parent
projects, which I rarely (if ever) touch.

Otherwise, you might come around this, in that you exclude the portion
of the filesystem space occupied by a lower lever project from the radar
of the higher level project. This has been discussed once (but do not
know where right now).

In fact, AFAIK, Jackrabbit does not have any nested projects (any more),
right ?

Regards
Felix