Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Terry McBride <tt...@yahoo.com> on 2001/11/27 02:23:10 UTC

Uploading problem with Macs

I searched the archives and found that someone else
had this problem, but it doesn't seem to have been
resolved.

I got this snippet from an asp website address asp's
incompatibility with file uploading......

<snippet>
A number of browsers on the MacOS upload files encoded
as MacBinary (to allow special Mac specific features
to be transmitted)... If you use a third party
component you should ensure that it supports
MacBinary.
</snippet>

I'm starting to look into the answer.  Hopefully
others will help too.  Initially, it doesn't sound
easy to me.

Terry

[Way Off Topic] Re: Uploading problem with Macs

Posted by Eric Dobbs <er...@dobbse.net>.
Sorry for the off-topic post, but this needs correcting for the
archive...
(if anyone has more questions about this, email me privately and spare
the list more noise)

On Monday, November 26, 2001, at 11:48  PM, Terry McBride wrote:

> For the archives and anyone else interested,
>
> IE for Mac apparently sends files in Macbinary format.
> Macbinary files are comprised of two parts: resource
> forks and data forks.  The suggestion seems to be
> removing the resource fork which is info about the
> file, image preview, other stuff.

Actually, it is the Mac OS file system (in all versions before OS X)
which stores files in a resource fork and a data fork.  That's the
native structure for files in Mac OS.  The problem is that the rest of
the file systems in the world cannot handle both forks of a Mac file
(which is probably why Mac OS X now uses "bundles" instead of the two
forks -- but I digress).  Macbinary is a packaging technique (vaguely
like tar and zip) which will encode both forks into a one fork file
which can be safely stored on another non-Mac file system.

Typically, files uploaded from a Mac get encoded in MacBinary or BinHex
formats.  They can then be safely stored on a unix or other system.
When a Mac user downloads the encoded files from that system, they get
decoded automagically into the native format by the client software (IE
or whatever).  It works fine when going Mac OS to something else back to
Mac OS.  No problems if the non-mac system is just storing the files.
But if the files need to be processed by the backend, that's when you
have to deal with the encoding and the multiple forks.

The resource fork is where the compiled code for applications are
stored.  There are also some meta data stored there (signatures for the
application that created the file, and file type, icon information and
the like).  If your users are not uploading applications, then it should
be fairly safe for you to ignore the resource fork.

I have never had to mess with any of this stuff, so I don't think I can
help with your specific problem.  Hopefully this background information
will help you figure it out.

-Eric

Re: Uploading problem with Macs

Posted by Terry McBride <tt...@yahoo.com>.
For the archives and anyone else interested,

IE for Mac apparently sends files in Macbinary format.
Macbinary files are comprised of two parts: resource
forks and data forks.  The suggestion seems to be
removing the resource fork which is info about the
file, image preview, other stuff.

Here's one link about the basics...
http://www.macdisk.com/macforken.php3
and another free Java MacBinary Toolkit from Gregory
Guerin...
http://www.amug.org/~glguerin/sw/#macbinary

I imagine you wouldn't have a problem running turbine
from a Mac and storing either PC or Mac files.

I know from the archives (and other sites I've found)
others have this problem, it looks like I'm going to
try Gregory's toolkit unless others have a suggestion
(or implementation).  I have a situation where
uploading has tested successful in all our tested
cases accept Mac IE.

Thanks for any help,
Terry

Posted by Kurt Schrader <ks...@engin.umich.edu>.