Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rohit Peyyeti <ro...@translogicsys.com> on 2003/05/29 12:41:26 UTC

Multiple instances

Hello Gurus:

I have received no response to my previous post and hence I'm rephrasing
my question and posting it again ;)

I need to setup multiple tomcat 4.1.24 instances (for each of my web
applications). I did read RUNNING.txt shipped with tomcat distribution
-- but was not very clear. Can I give multiple entries to CATALINA_BASE
environment? What if I want to run 5 to 6 different instances? How exactly
should it be configured?

Is there any how-to or document available for setting up tomcat 4's multiple
instances?

Thanks!

Rohit

Re: Multiple instances

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.
Ditto.

John

Re: Multiple instances

Posted by Jason Bainbridge <ja...@jblinux.org>.
On Thu, 29 May 2003 18:41, Rohit Peyyeti wrote:

> I need to setup multiple tomcat 4.1.24 instances (for each of my web
> applications). I did read RUNNING.txt shipped with tomcat distribution
> -- but was not very clear. Can I give multiple entries to CATALINA_BASE
> environment? What if I want to run 5 to 6 different instances? How exactly
> should it be configured?

I'm not sure if there are any howto's around for this, most likely there is
but the way I do it to simplify matters is just to copy the whole tomcat
directory and then change various ports in server.xml (I'm at home so I
haven't got the list in front of me).

Then if you wish to install NT services (are you using Windows) there is a GUI
tool available that makes this nice and easy, search the archives and you
should find it easy enough. If you are using linux you should be right if you
just run ./startup.sh from each directory, same with windows if you don't
want to install a service, just run the startup.bat file.

You can set it up so you share some of the core of Tomcat but I prefer not to
complicate matters as Tomcat isn't huge so there is no real overhead in just
keeping multiple copies of the binary.

Jason Bainbridge
KDE Web Team - http://kde.org
webmaster@kde.org

Re: Multiple instances

Posted by Rohit Peyyeti <ro...@translogicsys.com>.
What about name attribute in tomcat's <HOST> tag? Should it be same as Apache's
VH's ServerName attribute? Should both be the same? -- my question is: can
both exist in parallel without any issues?

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.

Re: Multiple instances

RE: Multiple instances

Posted by Alex Burton <al...@e-plus.com.au>.