Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/12 14:10:38 UTC

[compress] New release soon?

Hi,

Stefan has made several bugfixes - I wonder if we should do a 1.1 quite soon.
Since I have not done to much code changes lately due to other
project, I volunteer for preparing the 1.1 release in three weeks, if
we think its already time. And I think it is

Cheers
Christian

Re: [compress] equalsIgnoreCase in Factories

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2010-02-12, Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org> wrote:

>> While looking through the patch I realized we are using
>> equalsIgnoreCase in the factories which is not such a good idea since
>> this is locale dependent and the Turkish lowercase of "ZIP" is not
>> "zip".

> Wow, didn't know that!

It's been burnt into my brain even since Ant's <fileset> wouldn't work
in Turkish locales - fond memories of a bug fixed more than nine years
ago 8-)

Stefan

Re: [compress] equalsIgnoreCase in Factories (was Re: New release soon?)

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
> Saw that.  While looking through the patch I realized we are using
> equalsIgnoreCase in the factories which is not such a good idea since
> this is locale dependent and the Turkish lowercase of "ZIP" is not
> "zip".

Wow, didn't know that!

I found the comment here quite interesting

 http://nikolajlindberg.blogspot.com/2008/03/beware-of-java-comparing-turkish.html

Seems we can easily fix this with toLowerCase(Locale.US) in this case.
As a side note: For more serious comparisons it seems like a
"Collator" is the right thing to use

 http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/text/Collator.html

Never came across that class before :) Interesting!

>  I'll change that to locale insensitive comparisons - actually
> comparisons using the English locale soon.

Yeah, we should fix that before the next release as well.

cheers
--
Torsten

[compress] equalsIgnoreCase in Factories (was Re: New release soon?)

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2010-02-12, Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org> wrote:

> I also wanted to get Compressor detection in ...and just committed that :)

Saw that.  While looking through the patch I realized we are using
equalsIgnoreCase in the factories which is not such a good idea since
this is locale dependent and the Turkish lowercase of "ZIP" is not
"zip".  I'll change that to locale insensitive comparisons - actually

Re: [compress] New release soon?

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
I also wanted to get Compressor detection in ...and just committed that :)

If I read COMPRESS-73 correctly it sounds like a can of worms ...but
let's discuss on the new thread.
For COMPRESS-82 we could maybe automatically wrap the InputStream if
it not already is buffered.

Not sure about 1.0.1 vs 1.1 but a new release sounds like a good idea.
Quite a few thing have been fixed since.

cheers
--
Torsten

Re: [compress] New release soon?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2010-02-12, Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Stefan has made several bugfixes - I wonder if we should do a 1.1
> quite soon.

In parallel I'm planning a release of the Compress Antlib now that Ant
1.8.0 is out.  This is supposed to add cpio and ar tasks but to tell the
truth neither format works really well with Commons Compress 1.0 (the
timestamps and Unix permissions are all wrong) so I'd appreciate a new
release soon - and would even withhold the Antlib release for it.

There are still a few JIRA issues and I'm currently looking into
COMPRESS-73 (will kick of a separate mail for this).  COMPRESS-82 sounds
serious as well.

Many of the other issues are scheduled for the 1.1 release but are
unlikely to get done soon - for example ZIP64 or POSIX tar support.  We
should reschedule those - or call the next release 1.0.1 ;-)

I wonder whether we should mark the bigger tasks as things that could be
candidates for projects in the mentoring program.

> I volunteer for preparing the 1.1 release in three weeks, if we think
> its already time.

Great.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2010-05-05, Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The review has been asked from Stefan Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 7:35 PM Its
> on COMPRESS-18, but my last inforamtion was its not in the codebase

This is correct.

I'm not sure whether we want to fix COMPRESS-18 for 1.1 at all or simply
postpone that.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
> <an...@poczta.onet.pl> wrote:
>> W dniu 2010-04-13 18:21, Christian Grobmeier pisze:
>>> Oh yes... thanks for the reminder. there is one code review open, then
>>> we can discuss to proceed. [...]
>>
>> Which code review do you have in mind? I've taken a look at the Jira and
>> there is 1 issue for 1.0 and 3 ones for 1.1. Of those four 2 are connected
>> with release-management issues (SHA1 files and acknowledgements in README).
>> The remaining two seem to be as good as fixed.
>
> Agreed. I postponed the acknowledgement issue to after 1.1 and the
> remaining two issues seem to be pretty much done already.

sounds good.. the review has been asked from Stefan Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 11:29 PM, Antoni Mylka
<an...@poczta.onet.pl> wrote:
> W dniu 2010-04-13 18:21, Christian Grobmeier pisze:
>> Oh yes... thanks for the reminder. there is one code review open, then
>> we can discuss to proceed. [...]
>
> Which code review do you have in mind? I've taken a look at the Jira and
> there is 1 issue for 1.0 and 3 ones for 1.1. Of those four 2 are connected
> with release-management issues (SHA1 files and acknowledgements in README).
> The remaining two seem to be as good as fixed.

Agreed. I postponed the acknowledgement issue to after 1.1 and the
remaining two issues seem to be pretty much done already.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: [compress] New release soon?

Posted by Antoni Mylka <an...@poczta.onet.pl>.
W dniu 2010-04-13 18:21, Christian Grobmeier pisze:
>>> Re: 1.1 vs 1.0.1; There's new public API in the codebase, so we should
>>> call the release 1.1.
>>
>> +1. We've been using a snapshot version of compress in Aperture framework
>> since august 2009. issues 73,87 and 89 are important to us and all are
>> resolved.
>>
>> pretty please...
>
> Oh yes... thanks for the reminder. there is one code review open, then
> we can discuss to proceed. Thursday i might have some time for the
> review and hopefully can open the discussion
>
> christian

Which code review do you have in mind? I've taken a look at the Jira and
there is 1 issue for 1.0 and 3 ones for 1.1. Of those four 2 are
connected with release-management issues (SHA1 files and
acknowledgements in README). The remaining two seem to be as good as fixed.

Could I help with anything?

Antoni Mylka
antoni.mylka@gmail.com

Re: [compress] New release soon?