Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Francois Beausoleil <fr...@gmail.com> on 2006/12/13 17:06:57 UTC

Apache segfault on startup

Hi all,

I built Apache 2.2.3 from tarball, and it is installed in
/usr/local/apache2.  I downloaded the svn 1.4.2 tarball, and configure
reports the right path:

checking for Apache module support via DSO through APXS... found at
/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs
checking httpd version... recent enough
configure: Apache Portable Runtime (APR) library configuration
checking for APR... yes
checking APR version... 0.9.7
configure: Apache Portable Runtime Utility (APRUTIL) library configuration
checking for APR-util... yes
checking APR-UTIL version... 0.9.7
## ----------------- ##
## Output variables. ##
## ----------------- ##

APACHE_INCLUDES=' -I/usr/local/apache2//include'
APACHE_LDFLAGS=''
APACHE_LIBEXECDIR='/usr/local/apache2//modules'
APACHE_TARGET=''
APXS='/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs'

Yet, when I enable mod_dav_svn and mod_authz_svn, Apache segfaults
immediately on startup:
[Wed Dec 13 16:31:55 2006] [notice] child pid 25082 exit signal
Segmentation fault (11)

I know I made a mistake somewhere.  I just don't know what it is.

My Apache configure:
./configure --disable-include --disable-dir \
  --enable-dav --enable-deflate \
  --enable-proxy --enable-proxy-balancer \
  --disable-userdir --with-ssl \
  --with-z --prefix=/usr/local/apache2/

And Subversion's:
./configure --prefix=/usr/local

I did find a variety of messages on dev@svn essentially saying "check
that svn builds against the right version of Apache".  So my question
really boils down to: how to do that ?

Thanks !
--
François Beausoleil
http://blog.teksol.info/

Re: Apache segfault on startup

Posted by David Glasser <gl...@mit.edu>.
On 12/13/06, Francois Beausoleil <fr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My Apache configure:
> ./configure --disable-include --disable-dir \
>   --enable-dav --enable-deflate \
>   --enable-proxy --enable-proxy-balancer \
>   --disable-userdir --with-ssl \
>   --with-z --prefix=/usr/local/apache2/
>
> And Subversion's:
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
>
> I did find a variety of messages on dev@svn essentially saying "check
> that svn builds against the right version of Apache".  So my question
> really boils down to: how to do that ?

(This message would be more appropriate on users@s.t.o.)

Have you trying running Subversion's ./configure with --with-apxs
pointing to the apxs that Apache installed?  Maybe you have another
apache installation somewhere.

> http://piston.rubyforge.org/

(Ooh, piston, nice tool.  You may want to take a peek at the
svn-merge-vendor.py that was recently sent to dev@ (and will show up
in our contrib/ tree soon), which is a similar tool that does try to
track renames and copies.)

--dave

--
David Glasser | glasser@mit.edu | http://www.davidglasser.net/

Re: Apache segfault on startup

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.
Francois Beausoleil wrote:
> I built Apache 2.2.3 from tarball, and it is installed in
> /usr/local/apache2.  I downloaded the svn 1.4.2 tarball, and configure
> reports the right path:

a) this is really a question that should be raised on the users list
first, since it doesn't touch on development of Subversion (except
tangentially).

b) Apache 2.2.3 uses a newer APR than you are finding (1.2.? something).
  Don't unpack the subversion-deps as is, as that will include an older
APR.  You will probably need to unpack that elsewhere and just copy over
the Neon (and possibly zlib) directory into the Subversion tree.  Also,
you need to add the following two lines to the configure call:

--with-apr=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apr-1-config \
--with-apr-util=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apu-1-config

(I guessed at the path there).

John

--
John Peacock