Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by "dyana.rose" <dy...@salecycle.com> on 2019/06/13 12:38:38 UTC

Updating Kinesis Connector to latest Apache licensed libs

The Kinesis Client Library v2.x and the AWS Java SDK v2.x both are now on the Apache 2.0 license.
https://github.com/awslabs/amazon-kinesis-client/blob/master/LICENSE.txt
https://github.com/aws/aws-sdk-java-v2/blob/master/LICENSE.txt

There is a PR for the Kinesis Producer Library to update it to the Apache 2.0 license (https://github.com/awslabs/amazon-kinesis-producer/pull/256)

If I understand the Amazon software license issue correctly updating to these new major versions (and the KPL when it's available under the Apache license) will allow the Kinesis connectors to be distributed in the core build. (making my life easier)

I haven't seen a Jira ticket specifically for an upgrade in major version, but it would solve this one, though otherwise than intended! https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-7673

Unless there are already discussed reasons not to upgrade, I'll stick a ticket in for it and cross my fingers that the KPL PR gets merged sometime in the relatively near future.

Thanks,
Dyana

Re: Updating Kinesis Connector to latest Apache licensed libs

Posted by Bowen Li <bo...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

I want to give an update from my perspective.

flink-connector-kinesis' two critical dependencies KPL and Dynamo stream
adapter haven't been converted to Apache 2.0 license yet. The
license-changing PRs [1] are still pending, for ~2 months so far. I've left
comments there, and hope they can be merged and have new releases soon.

Given that, as well as some major work required to adapt
flink-connector-kinesis code to new AWS libs (described by Dyana in the
ticket), I personally don't think we can make it in 1.9.

I would recommend re-aiming it at 1.10.

[1] KPL https://github.com/awslabs/amazon-kinesis-producer/pull/256
     Dynamo stream adapter
https://github.com/awslabs/dynamodb-streams-kinesis-adapter/pull/23