Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "M.D. DeWar" <ma...@s-wit.net> on 2004/01/14 17:33:50 UTC

[users@httpd] newbie permissions questions

Hello,
I have a question on the permisssions and what happens when set wrong. I
have read the docs but not sure I understand the consequences pr the process
of how it works.

In httpd.conf the user is nobody and group is noboby.

I noticed that when I installed some php stuff and made some html files that
they were not nobody:nobody but
mark.mark . When I d/l a php script and un-tarred it and copied it over its
user/group were 15000:15000 .

I noticed several like that.
How come they run when not set to nobody:nobody ?
And same with cgi files ? I had a few at root:wheel.
I changed them over to nobody:nobody

images also are serverd when not nobody.
Whats the real purpose then ?

thanks
mark