Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Ni...@allianzworldwidecare.com on 2007/06/07 11:50:38 UTC

FOP-0.20.3 not working correctly with Adobe Reader 7.0

Hi,

We are using FOP-0.20.3 loaded into Oracle 9i database (Oracle9i
Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.7.0) in order to dynamically generate PDF
documents using stored in the database
XML and XSL-FO stylesheets.
It was working perfectly with Adobe Reader 6.x releases, but after
upgrading to Adobe Reader 7.0 we have the following issue:

After the PDF is created and when trying to open it, Adobe Reader 7.0
displays the following mesage box "There were too many arguments". When
clicking "OK" button to confirm, the PDF document is displayed normally.
I would be very grateful if you can advise me how to get rid of this
message (without having to upgrade to newer version of FOP, since
FOP-0.20.3 is the only one to work correctly with Oracle 9i database).

Maybe there is already a workaround or bug fix developped solving this
problem since other people in the Internet forums seem to have the same
issue with FOP-0.20.3 and Adobe Reader 7.0
I'll apreciate a lot if someone from the FOP team may point may attention
to a possible solution and please accept my apologize if this has already
been discussed somewhere in Internet.

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards,

Nikola Ivanov

Senior Developer

Allianz World Wide Care, Ireland
The information contained and transmitted in this e-mail is confidential information, and is intended only for the named recipient to which it is addressed. The content of this e-mail may not have been sent with the authority of the company. If the reader of this message is not the named recipient or a person responsible for delivering it to the named recipient, you are notified that the review, dissemination, distribution, transmission, printing or copying, forwarding, or any other use of this message or any part of it, including any attachments, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please delete the e-mail and destroy all record of this communication. Thank you for your assistance.

However Allianz Worldwide Care (including its employees and agents) will not be liable for direct, special, indirect or consequential damages arising from the alteration of the contents of this message and/or its attachments by a third party or as a result of any virus being passed on.

Allianz Worldwide Care Limited, part of the Allianz Group, is registered in Ireland and regulated by the Irish Financial Services Regulatory Authority. Registered Office 20D Beckett Way, Park West Business Campus, Nangor Road, Dublin 12, Ireland. Registered No.: 310852

Allianz Worldwide Care Limited gehoert zur Allianz Group, ist in Irland eingetragen und unterliegt der Aufsicht durch die irische Finanzaufsichtsbehoerde. Eintragungsnummer: 310852.

Allianz Worldwide Care Limited, filiale du groupe Allianz, est enregistree en Irlande et regie par l'Autorite de Reglementation des Services Financiers Irlandais. No. : 310852.

Allianz Worldwide Care Limited, parte dell'Allianz Group, e una societa registrata in Irlanda e soggetta all'Irish Financial Services Regulatory Authority. N. registrazione: 310852.

Allianz Worldwide Care Limited, parte de Allianz Group, esta registrada en Irlanda y regulada por la Autoridad Irlandesa Reguladora de Servicios Financieros. No. de registro: 310852.

Re: update 0.20 and 0.93 xdocs index pages?

Posted by Adrian Cumiskey <ad...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Clay,

Hopefully from now on we will start to see more user questions related
to 0.93/trunk and less from 0.20.5 :-).

Adrian.

Posted by The Web Maestro <th...@gmail.com>.
On 6/7/07, Adrian Cumiskey <ad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have attached a patch file to update the descriptions to something
> which maybe better communicates to potential new FOP users which version
> of FOP we recommend they adopt in their environments.  Please feel free
> of course to amend these descriptions, I have provided them just for
> illustration.
>
> Adrian.

Patch applied. The change will show up on the site after the next site
generation. Thank you Adrian.

Web Maestro Clay

The Web Maestro
--
<th...@gmail.com> - <http://homepage.mac.com/webmaestro/>
- HH The 14th Dalai Lama of Tibet

update 0.20 and 0.93 xdocs index pages?

Posted by Adrian Cumiskey <ad...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

I have just stumbles upon the FOP main xdocs index pages :-

0.20.5	http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.20.5/index.html
0.93	http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.93/index.html

I believe that these 'About' descriptions no longer reflect the current
state of the project and suggest that we should be directing our users
to use 0.93 and not 0.20.5 anymore.

Re: FOP-0.20.3 not working correctly with Adobe Reader 7.0

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
Nikola.Ivanov@allianzworldwidecare.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are using FOP-0.20.3 loaded into Oracle 9i database (Oracle9i
> Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.7.0) in order to dynamically generate
> PDF documents using stored in the database
> XML and XSL-FO stylesheets.

Firstly, I should mention that this is the wrong mailing to list to post
up questions about using FOP. In future please use fop-users@ to post
questions.

> It was working perfectly with Adobe Reader 6.x releases, but after
> upgrading to Adobe Reader 7.0 we have the following issue:
>
> After the PDF is created and when trying to open it, Adobe Reader 7.0
> displays the following mesage box "There were too many arguments". When
> clicking "OK" button to confirm, the PDF document is displayed normally.
> I would be very grateful if you can advise me how to get rid of this
> message (without having to upgrade to newer version of FOP, since
> FOP-0.20.3 is the only one to work correctly with Oracle 9i database).

FOP-0.20.3 is older than the hills! I understand there might be some
effort involved in upgrading to the recent releases, i.e. 0.93, but
0.20.5 is a straight swap for 0.20.3 and you should at the very least
try to get onto 0.20.5. Although that too is very old...

As for FOP not working with Oracle, I assume you mean when deployed
within the Oracle Application Server? The problem is normally down to
buggy XML parser and XSL Transformer implementation supplied by Oracle
which FOP uses to generate/read the FO. This problem comes up a lot on
the users list. A quick search of the archives revealed this thread:

http://marc.info/?l=fop-user&m=116031401105281&w=2

<snip/>

Chris