Posted to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Thierry Kormann <Th...@sophia.inria.fr> on 2000/12/12 18:07:54 UTC

Re: [bugs] Filter bounds vs. getPrimitiveBounds

> The commit I made recently uncovers a problem with
> filters: namely, in the current implementation filters
> use the geometry bounds of their source node(s)
> rather than the primitive bounds.
>
> If one considers that case of outlined or underlined
> text, where the geometry bounds do not include the
> widening effect of stroking or text decoration, you
> can see the problem.  The filter bounds are not big enough
> to enclose the entire painted source.
>
> It seems that this happens in a call to
> SVGUtilities.convertRegion(...).

oh no! You have changed this code ??????

This code is tricky and I spent many times to clean that and to have
no regression on filters and patterns. It is normal to use the geometric bounds
and not the primitive bounds.

> correct behavior for filters, but causes patternRegions.svg
> to regress.

If you have commited that, I think we should go back to the previous version.

> I am seeking feedback as to where the fix should actually
> be made, on the basis of what I have said.  The bottom line is
> that filters should get their bounds from primitiveBounds and
> not geometryBounds.

I will think about that but I am tired and I would spend some times to sleep
and have a rest :)

I am going to send a proposition of things to do for release 1.0. We could study your problem at this time.

Thierry.

--
Thierry Kormann
email: Thierry.Kormann@sophia.inria.fr  http://www.inria.fr/koala/tkormann/