Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by David Newman <dn...@networktest.com> on 2004/12/06 00:27:18 UTC

SA vs. postfix main.cf

Greetings, and apologies is thisn't the right forum for this post. I've
already asked on postfix-users with no luck there.

We run postfix and SpamAssassin. Postfix's use of RBL is pre-empting SA's
ability to whitelist specific senders. I'm wondering if there is some way
to override that.

We run postfix 2.1.5_1,1 on FreeBSD 5.2.1, and use some RBL lists:

smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
   reject_rbl_client opm.blitzed.org,
   reject_rbl_client list.dsbl.org,
   reject_rbl_client proxies.relays.monkeys.com,
   reject_rbl_client relays.ordb.org,
   reject_rbl_client bl.spamcop.net,
   reject_rbl_client sbl.spamhaus.org

We also use SpamAssassin 3.0.1_2, called from master.cf:

smtp      inet  n       -       n       -       -       smtpd -o \
  content_filter=spamassassin

spamassassin
    unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
    user=nobody argv=/usr/local/bin/spamc -f -e /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
-oi
     -f ${sender} ${recipient}

We are seeing cases where mail is rejected because of the RBL lists, even
when a sender is whitelisted in a recipient's SA user_prefs file.

Is there any way to reverse the order of operations so that postfix
doesn't check with the RBL list when SA says a sender is OK?

Thanks.

Regards,
David Newman
Network Test

Re: SA vs. postfix main.cf

Posted by Martin Hepworth <ma...@solid-state-logic.com>.
David

I had a similar problem with another program..

If you let SA do all the RBL's etc it won't use the RBL's as a
blacklist, just add to the score.

You may have to aleviate the straing on the system by then letting the
MTA (postfix in your case) check the email for valid email addresses,
and not letting invalid ones in.

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

David Newman wrote:
> Greetings, and apologies is thisn't the right forum for this post. I've
> already asked on postfix-users with no luck there.
>
> We run postfix and SpamAssassin. Postfix's use of RBL is pre-empting
> SA's ability to whitelist specific senders. I'm wondering if there is
> some way to override that.
>
> We run postfix 2.1.5_1,1 on FreeBSD 5.2.1, and use some RBL lists:
>
> smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
>   reject_rbl_client opm.blitzed.org,
>   reject_rbl_client list.dsbl.org,
>   reject_rbl_client proxies.relays.monkeys.com,
>   reject_rbl_client relays.ordb.org,
>   reject_rbl_client bl.spamcop.net,
>   reject_rbl_client sbl.spamhaus.org
>
> We also use SpamAssassin 3.0.1_2, called from master.cf:
>
> smtp      inet  n       -       n       -       -       smtpd -o \
>  content_filter=spamassassin

> spamassassin
>    unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
>    user=nobody argv=/usr/local/bin/spamc -f -e /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
> -oi
>     -f ${sender} ${recipient}
>
> We are seeing cases where mail is rejected because of the RBL lists,
> even when a sender is whitelisted in a recipient's SA user_prefs file.
>
> Is there any way to reverse the order of operations so that postfix
> doesn't check with the RBL list when SA says a sender is OK?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> David Newman
> Network Test

the system manager.

Re: SA vs. postfix main.cf

Posted by Matt Barton <ma...@webexc.com>.
Per Jessen wrote:

> Not that I can think of.  Essentially you need to decide who makes
> the decision for you - SA or Postfix. By the time postfix delivers
> the mail to SA via the content_filter, all the Postfix checks are
> complete - smtpd_xxxx_restrictions - so if postfix has decided to
> reject an email, SA can't really override that later.  Therefore, if
> your users disagree with your blockinglist, don't use those
> blockinglist(s) in postfix and leave it to SA.

In order to do the same kind of whitelisting in Postfix, you'd basically
need to setup some check_*_access checks before your RBL's allowing them
to pass.

--
Matt Barton
Webexcellence

Re: SA vs. postfix main.cf

Posted by Per Jessen <pe...@computer.org>.
David Newman wrote:

> We run postfix and SpamAssassin. Postfix's use of RBL is pre-empting SA's
> ability to whitelist specific senders. I'm wondering if there is some way
> to override that.
[snip]
> Is there any way to reverse the order of operations so that postfix
> doesn't check with the RBL list when SA says a sender is OK?

Not that I can think of.  Essentially you need to decide who makes the decision
for you - SA or Postfix.
By the time postfix delivers the mail to SA via the content_filter, all the
Postfix checks are complete - smtpd_xxxx_restrictions - so if postfix has
decided to reject an email, SA can't really override that later.  Therefore, if
your users disagree with your blockinglist, don't use those blockinglist(s) in
postfix and leave it to SA.

--
Per Jessen, Zurich
Let your spam stop here -- http://www.spamchek.com