Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by MrChuoi <mr...@gmail.com> on 2017/06/10 17:35:33 UTC

[Tomcat 8.5] Cannot obtain singleton resource with startStopThreads > 1

Hi all,

I can obtain my custom JNDI resource as singleton when starting all of my
web-apps sequentially. However, if I set startStopThreads > 1 to speedup
the loading process, Tomcat creates multiple instances of my resource. Did
I miss anything in configuration?

My system info:
- Windows 7 Pro (64-bit)
- Tomcat 8.5.12 and 8.5.15 (64-bit)
- Java 1.7.0_80-b15 (64-bit)

Thanks,

- MrChuoi

Re: [Tomcat 8.5] Cannot obtain singleton resource with startStopThreads > 1

Posted by MrChuoi <mr...@gmail.com>.
Well, it works now. It turned out our legacy code for registering cache
manager wasn't thread-safe.

Nothing is good when you have to work during weekend! :-)

Thank you all for the supports.

- MrChuoi

--
------------------------------------
http://forum.vnoss.org

Re: [Tomcat 8.5] Cannot obtain singleton resource with startStopThreads > 1

Posted by MrChuoi <mr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chuck,

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: MrChuoi [mailto:mrchuoi@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: [Tomcat 8.5] Cannot obtain singleton resource with startStopThreads > 1

> OK. I will put the resource in the context of each webapp to see what is
> going on, but what I don't understand is why this configuration works when
> I start webapps one-by-one sequentially?

I suspect you're not getting a singleton either way (at least you're not supposed to).  If you want a singleton, I believe it needs to be specified in conf/server.xml via <GlobalNamingResources> and a <ResourceLink> in the <Context> element of each webapp that needs it.

 - Chuck

Re: [Tomcat 8.5] Cannot obtain singleton resource with startStopThreads > 1

Posted by MrChuoi <mr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chuck,

On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 6:58 PM, Caldarale, Charles R <

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by MrChuoi <mr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mark,

I follow the guideline here
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.5-doc/jndi-resources-howto.html to create
a Generic JavaBean class which is holding some static info internally.

http://forum.vnoss.org

Re: [Tomcat 8.5] Cannot obtain singleton resource with startStopThreads > 1

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.