Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by sh...@techflow.com on 2005/03/01 02:26:31 UTC

Installation problems on Windows

I hope this message makes it to the list (my Welcome email didn't include
the examples of the proper email command syntax, only the headings...?)

The Tomcat 5.x binary installer for Windows hangs at the point where it
says it's using the dvm.dll. This is true under all the following
circumstances:
-Windows XP Pro, SP2
-JRE 1.4.2_06 (picks client/dvm.dll)
-JDK 1.4.2_07 (picks client/dvm.dll or server/dvm.dll, seemingly at random)
-JRE 1.4.2_07 (picks client/dvm.dll)
-fresh install (with reboot) of each of the JDKs/JREs above
-Tomcat 5.0.28 (should be okay with 1.4.x, right?)
-Tomcat 5.5.4
-Tomcat 5.5.7
-leave the partially installed Tomcat directories and registry entries
intact on subsequent attempts
-remove the Tomcat directories and registry entries prior to subsequent
attempts
-allow Tomcat to use default installation directory (C:\Program
Files\Apache Software Foundation\...)
-TinyFirewall enabled, and disabled

I found a couple other notes in the list archive from people with the same
problem but didn't see the resolution.

Other Java-related or OpenSource software installed at the time of the
Tomcat install attempt:
-SunOne (J2EE 1.4 SDK, not running)
-WSAD 5.1.2 (not running)
-Apache 2.x (service not running)
-MySQL (service not running)
-CVSNT (running)
-Oracle 9i client (includes 1.3 JRE)

Any help is much appreciated.
 S Henty

Re: Installation problems on Windows

Posted by Jason Bainbridge <jb...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 17:26:31 -0800, shenty@techflow.com
<sh...@techflow.com> wrote:

> I hope this message makes it to the list (my Welcome email didn't include
> the examples of the proper email command syntax, only the headings...?)
>
> The Tomcat 5.x binary installer for Windows hangs at the point where it
> says it's using the dvm.dll. This is true under all the following
> circumstances:
> -Windows XP Pro, SP2
> -JRE 1.4.2_06 (picks client/dvm.dll)
> -JDK 1.4.2_07 (picks client/dvm.dll or server/dvm.dll, seemingly at random)
> -JRE 1.4.2_07 (picks client/dvm.dll)
> -fresh install (with reboot) of each of the JDKs/JREs above
> -Tomcat 5.0.28 (should be okay with 1.4.x, right?)
> -Tomcat 5.5.4
> -Tomcat 5.5.7
> -leave the partially installed Tomcat directories and registry entries
> intact on subsequent attempts
> -remove the Tomcat directories and registry entries prior to subsequent
> attempts
> -allow Tomcat to use default installation directory (C:\Program
> Files\Apache Software Foundation\...)
> -TinyFirewall enabled, and disabled

1. dvm.dll do you mean jvm.dll? Thought it was just a typo at first
but it's consistent through your email.

2. Try installing to a directory path without spaces, Windows is
really tempermental about such things.

3. Ditch the binary installer and just download the .zip, if need be a
Windows service can be easily installed using the batch file that
comes with the .zip

4. Try explicitly setting your JAVA_HOME environment variable to point
where you want it.

One of those should set you right.

Cheers.
--