Posted to solr-dev@lucene.apache.org by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> on 2008/12/10 21:49:16 UTC

1.4 Planning

I'd like to suggest we start thinking about 1.4 being released in
early January.  Here's my reasoning:

1. I think we all agree that 1.2 -> 1.3 was way too long
2. Quarterly releases seem to be a pretty nice timeframe for people
such that you aren't constantly upgrading, yet you don't have to wait
for eternity for new features
3. And here's where the rubber meets the road:  We've actually put in
some significant features and bug fixes, namely Java-based
Replication, Tika Integration, new more scalable faceting
implementation and on and on, not to mention Lucene improvements and
other bug fixes.  Read about it at https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/solr/trunk/CHANGES.txt

Here's what's currently targeted to 1.4:  https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&resolution=-1&pid=12310230&fixfor=12313351

Since I so enjoyed doing the release last time, I volunteer to do it
again this time.

Thoughts?

-Grant

Re: 1.4 Planning

Posted by Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com>.
Field Collapsing is deceptively complex... my feeling is that it won't
make the 1.4 cut.

But, I think that or lucene/solr search site at
http://www.lucidimagination.com/search/
would benefit greatly from field collapsing.  Hopefully that will help
increase the priority to get it fully integrated into 1.5 in a timely
manner.

-Yonik

RE: 1.4 Planning

Posted by "Eger, Patrick" <pe...@automotive.com>.
> > For what it's worth, I'd like to speak up for the inclusion of
> > http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-236 (Field Collapsing).
This
> > is a critical feature for us and would love to not have to wait for
1.5
> > (or run a patched version). Judging by the number of votes and
watchers
> > on the issue, I think it's important for others as well. Just my 2c!
> >

> I hear you Patrick. It is the most voted/watched issue in the list
along
> with SOLR-284 (which we now have in the form of
ExtractingRequestHandler
> aka
> Solr Cell) and I'd really like to have this feature in Solr.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm not very familar with the patch(es) and the
discussion
> and I don't have the bandwidth to work through it right now. But,
seeing
> that at least three committers (Yonik, Ryan and Otis) have been
involved
> at
> different times, if someone is willing to work through the hoops, I'm
sure
> folks would be willing to shepherd it along.

Willing, but possibly not able =) I'll give it a go but honestly I have
no idea what I'm getting into (haven't hacked SOLR before).

> Looking at the current state of things, I'm not sure how much time it
> would
> take. Typically, we like to have big features such as this, sit in the
> trunk
> for a while so that user reported bugs are ironed out before a
release. It
> may not be wise to wait that long for a release, since we already have
> lot
> of major un-released features in trunk.
> --
> Regards,
> Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Indeed that's an excellent policy and I wouldn't want to suggest
anything otherwise for this feature. If it does get pushed to 1.5, do
you have a rough plan for the length of that dev cycle? 2-3 months
perhaps?

Best Regards,
Patrick

Re: 1.4 Planning

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 1:15 AM, Eger, Patrick <pe...@automotive.com> wrote:

> For what it's worth, I'd like to speak up for the inclusion of
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-236 (Field Collapsing). This
> is a critical feature for us and would love to not have to wait for 1.5
> (or run a patched version). Judging by the number of votes and watchers
> on the issue, I think it's important for others as well. Just my 2c!

I hear you Patrick. It is the most voted/watched issue in the list along
with SOLR-284 (which we now have in the form of ExtractingRequestHandler aka
Solr Cell) and I'd really like to have this feature in Solr.

Unfortunately, I'm not very familar with the patch(es) and the discussion
and I don't have the bandwidth to work through it right now. But, seeing
that at least three committers (Yonik, Ryan and Otis) have been involved at
different times, if someone is willing to work through the hoops, I'm sure
folks would be willing to shepherd it along.

Looking at the current state of things, I'm not sure how much time it would
take. Typically, we like to have big features such as this, sit in the trunk
for a while so that user reported bugs are ironed out before a release. It
may not be wise to wait that long for a release, since we already have a lot

RE: 1.4 Planning

Posted by "Eger, Patrick" <pe...@automotive.com>.
For what it's worth, I'd like to speak up for the inclusion of
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-236 (Field Collapsing). This
is a critical feature for us and would love to not have to wait for 1.5
(or run a patched version). Judging by the number of votes and watchers
on the issue, I think it's important for others as well. Just my 2c!

- Patrick

Re: 1.4 Planning

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 1:01 AM, Shalin Shekhar Mangar <
shalinmangar@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 1:21 AM, Shalin Shekhar Mangar <
> shalinmangar@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I've created a 1.5 version in Jira. We can start trimming issues from 1.4
>>

> I've moved a few issues out of 1.4 and marked them for 1.5
>
> How about we take a look at the issues marked for 1.4, assigning the ones
> which seem interesting and doable in the next 2-3 weeks and branching off
> for a new release?

I've marked a few more issues out of 1.4 and into 1.5

Can everybody please take a look at the list of issues and prune it further?

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: 1.4 Planning

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.

Re: 1.4 Planning

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 2:19 AM, Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>wrote:

> I'd like to suggest we start thinking about 1.4 being released in early
> January.  Here's my reasoning:
>
> 1. I think we all agree that 1.2 -> 1.3 was way too long
> 2. Quarterly releases seem to be a pretty nice timeframe for people such
> that you aren't constantly upgrading, yet you don't have to wait for
> eternity for new features
> 3. And here's where the rubber meets the road:  We've actually put in some
> significant features and bug fixes, namely Java-based Replication, Tika
> Integration, new more scalable faceting implementation and on and on, not to
> mention Lucene improvements and other bug fixes.  Read about it at
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/solr/trunk/CHANGES.txt
>
> Here's what's currently targeted to 1.4:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&resolution=-1&pid=12310230&fixfor=12313351
>
> Since I so enjoyed doing the release last time, I volunteer to do it again
> this time.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> -Grant

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: 1.4 Planning

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 9:25 AM, Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> wrote:
> Seems like there are some things in Lucene that we'll want to leverage soon,
> too, like the new filters coming down (TrieRange, others) but I'm not sure
> how they fit yet into Solr

+1

I'm thinking currently thinking about FieldCacheRangeFilter type stuff for Solr.
We definitely need TrieRange in 1.4 too.

-Yonik

Re: 1.4 Planning

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
bq. TrieRange

We def want this. This makes range search so much more powerful. Imagine
something like searching for time ranges in logs indexed a line per doc
or something - this makes large scale range processing so much more doable.

We need some new field types to do the encoding and then a way to work
the new trierangequery into the queryparser(s) right?

- Mark

Re: 1.4 Planning

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Re: 1.4 Planning

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
+1

This is great! Thanks for taking the initiative, Grant.

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 2:19 AM, Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>wrote:

> I'd like to suggest we start thinking about 1.4 being released in early
> January.  Here's my reasoning:
>
> 1. I think we all agree that 1.2 -> 1.3 was way too long
> 2. Quarterly releases seem to be a pretty nice timeframe for people such
> that you aren't constantly upgrading, yet you don't have to wait for
> eternity for new features
> 3. And here's where the rubber meets the road:  We've actually put in some
> significant features and bug fixes, namely Java-based Replication, Tika
> Integration, new more scalable faceting implementation and on and on, not to
> mention Lucene improvements and other bug fixes.  Read about it at
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/solr/trunk/CHANGES.txt
>
> Here's what's currently targeted to 1.4:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&resolution=-1&pid=12310230&fixfor=12313351
>
> Since I so enjoyed doing the release last time, I volunteer to do it again
> this time.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> -Grant

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: 1.4 Planning

Posted by Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् <no...@gmail.com>.
Great!
We should try to have a release ASAP because we already have a
critical mass of features.A release in January should be a good
milestone.

The official release is very important for a lot of users because
their organizations have a such a policy. We can freeze on a list of
bugs and can start focusing on cleaning them up.

If Lucene is planning to have a release we can try to synchronize with that

--Noble

--
--Noble Paul

Re: 1.4 Planning

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.
I agree if it is close to a release we should try to synchronize.

Since i don't live in an environment where "official release" is
important, it has never felt like a big deal.  Also if you are
cracking into the lucene source, it seems like you are beyond that
too...

The lucene version should be well documented in CHANGS.txt, but we
could do more to make it easier.  Perhaps add maven source artifacts?

I'm not sure this would even work, but is it possible for us to add an
svn link to the lucene version we are currently depending on?
svn:externals or something like that?

ryan

RE: 1.4 Planning

Posted by "Feak, Todd" <To...@smss.sony.com>.
Done.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
Hey Todd,

Yeah, I hear you on the Lucene thing, but am not quite sure how to
handle it.  As Hoss' has said, by us voting to release Solr, we are
also voting to release that particular version of Lucene.  It means we
have confidence that it will do the job for Solr.   If it's just a
source issue, we can package up the sources into the Maven repo.  I'm
hesitant to suggest that we package the Lucene source into the main
distribution.  Maybe we just point people to the repo?  Can you open a
JIRA issue against 1.4 to track this so that we don't forget to do it?

Thanks,
Grant

On Dec 10, 2008, at 5:28 PM, Feak, Todd wrote:

> One of the things about the 1.3 release that I didn't care for, was
> the
> inclusion of a non-release version of Lucene. It was very difficult to
> track down the source code for the "dev" version that was used. Once
> Lucene had release its official version, I upgraded to that (which
> went
> well) so that I had access to Lucene source.
>
> If Lucene is going to release relatively soon, a release after that
> might be nice.
>
> For what it's worth, I understand the difficulty of having 2 projects
> running in parallel with the dependency between them. While trying to
> improve both at the same time. I'm not trying to throw stones, just
> sharing an opinion.
>
> -Todd Feak

Grant Ingersoll

Lucene Helpful Hints: