Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Sebastian Mohr <fl...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/14 19:35:02 UTC

FXG 2.0 donation progress concerns and Adobe design tool support

Hi,

In regards to FXG, I have a couple of questions:

I wonder about the current state of the FXG 2.0 donation
process [1]. Is FXG 2.0 already part of Apache Flex? If not,
does Adobe still plan to donate it?

What would happen if FXG 2.0 would be part of Apache Flex?
Would Adobe still support the FXG 2.0 format in the existing
Adobe tools [2]? What would happen if Apache Flex would decide
to work on a new version of FXG ... e.g. FXG 3.0? Would Adobe
still be interested to support the forthcoming versions of FXG if
FXG would be in the hands of Apache Flex?

I also wonder how closely FXG 2.0 is interweaved with the
current Flashplayer 11.6? If FXG 2.0 is so tightly interweaved
with the Flashplayer, wouldn't it be better if Adobe takes
care of FXG 2.0 instead of us?

Thanks for your answers!

[1] http://sourceforge.net/adobe/flexsdk/wiki/FXG%202.0%20Specification/
[2]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Designer+&+Developer+Tools

--
Sebastian (PPMC)
Interaction Designer

Looking for a Login Example with Apache Flex? Please check out this code:
http://code.google.com/p/masuland/wiki/LoginExample

Re: FXG 2.0 donation progress concerns and Adobe design tool support

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
The Falcon compiler has an FXG parser/compiler and transcoder.

Currently covers FXG 1.0 and FXG 2.0 for the
"http://ns.adobe.com/fxg/2008" namespace.

Mike

Quoting Sebastian Mohr <fl...@gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> In regards to FXG, I have a couple of questions:
>
> I wonder about the current state of the FXG 2.0 donation
> process [1]. Is FXG 2.0 already part of Apache Flex? If not,
> does Adobe still plan to donate it?
>
> What would happen if FXG 2.0 would be part of Apache Flex?
> Would Adobe still support the FXG 2.0 format in the existing
> Adobe tools [2]? What would happen if Apache Flex would decide
> to work on a new version of FXG ... e.g. FXG 3.0? Would Adobe
> still be interested to support the forthcoming versions of FXG if
> FXG would be in the hands of Apache Flex?
>
> I also wonder how closely FXG 2.0 is interweaved with the
> current Flashplayer 11.6? If FXG 2.0 is so tightly interweaved
> with the Flashplayer, wouldn't it be better if Adobe takes
> care of FXG 2.0 instead of us?
>
> Thanks for your answers!
>
> [1] http://sourceforge.net/adobe/flexsdk/wiki/FXG%202.0%20Specification/
> [2]
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Designer+&+Developer+Tools
>

> --
> Sebastian (PPMC)
> Interaction Designer
>
> Looking for a Login Example with Apache Flex? Please check out this code:
> http://code.google.com/p/masuland/wiki/LoginExample

--
Michael Schmalle - Teoti Graphix, LLC
http://www.teotigraphix.com

Re: FXG 2.0 donation progress concerns and Adobe design tool support

Posted by Sebastian Mohr <fl...@gmail.com>.
@Nicholas ...

*> Dosen't FXG also support bitmaps, effects, and other things as well?
[...] *
*> Would those elements be able to be supported with SVG? (I really am
asking*
*> on that one. The last time I dealt with SVG was in 2002 for a mapping
application).
*

SVG 1.1 document [1] recommends the Image Element [2], Filter Effects [3],
SMIL Animations [4] ... etc., but, am not sure which web browser supports
it.

*> FXG was only supported in CS 5.0 and 5.5.  6.0 and 6.1 *
*> no longer support FXG without a hard-to-find plugin)
*

Which FXG "hard-to-find plugin" for CS6 are you referring to? I haven't
had the chance to work with CS6, but, I am pretty happy with my CS5.5.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/single-page.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/single-page.html#chapter-filters
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/single-page.html#struct-ImageElement
[4] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/single-page.html#chapter-animate

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Falcon is made up of sub-compilers.  There is one for FXG.  Just because it
spits out AS of a certain format right now doesn't the JS output will be a
straight up translation of it.  I can be anything.

I think Om and I are waiting to see if the HTML5 button with skinning really
does have rendering differences between browsers.

In my view of FlexJS there will be multiple buttons to choose from.  If you
want to code up one that isn't accessible but uses Canvas, feel free.  I'm
coding up buttons that leverage DOM widgets because it is small and fast so
I can get something out there for folks to try.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: FXG 2.0 donation progress concerns and Adobe design tool support

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.
Om,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

[1] http://www.codedread.com/svg-support.php

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: FXG 2.0 donation progress concerns and Adobe design tool support

Posted by Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com>.
On 3/14/2013 6:38 PM, Alex Harui wrote:
> This web-page [1] makes me more certain that bitmaps will be my first
> attempt at a skinning model and someone else can do SVG or FXG.

   I think your [1] link appears to have been stripped out as I couldn't
find the link in your email.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur
203-379-0773
--
http://www.flextras.com?c=104
http://www.theflexshow.com

Re: FXG 2.0 donation progress concerns and Adobe design tool support

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 3/14/13 3:14 PM, "Om" <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> FXG
>>>

>>> This implies that I need to decide on the target (HTML vs. Flash) before
>>> even start designing the skin for the app.  Is that what you expect
>>> developers to do with FlexJS?
>> Nope, I think they should just choose SVG, and FlexJS and its compiler
>> should try to convert it into Flash assets when running on Flash.
>

> Right, except that when the user chooses the SVG route, that eliminates
> support for older browsers.
Are you planning on writing FXG support for older browsers?

>> Frankly,
>> I'm not sure if it has to do a great job in terms of fidelity or
>> performance.  For most folks, the end goal is to get a great HTML/JS app.
>> The SWF version is so you can develop and test as much as possible before
>> cross-compiling.
>>

> If I may suggest an alternative approach, I would use the SWF version to
> support older browsers.  Remember, Flash Player for Desktop is still very
> prevalent.
You are welcome to code up what you think is ibest.

> For the newer browsers that support do support inline SVG, we can convert
> FXG to SVG and we have a viable non-swf alternative.  This is a more
> future-safe approach, IMHO.
This web-page [1] makes me more certain that bitmaps will be my first
attempt at a skinning model and someone else can do SVG or FXG.

>>> My point is that we have tools that create FXG, we have AS code that can
>>> work with FXG.  I believe it is a more efficient approach run with FXG
>> and
>>> make it work with HTML/JS.  The end result would make the SDK users that
>>> much happier.
>> The AS code that works with FXG probably uses a lot of Flash APIs, so it
>> can't be cross-compiled efficiently to JS.  If you can write an efficient
>> FXG renderer on the JS side, please do so.
>>

> No, thats not what I meant.  I said "AS code can work *with *FXG".  This
> can be translated to JS code working with SVG.  AS to JS translation is
> what you guys are working on.  FXG to SVG XMSLT transformation is
> (hopefully) the only missing link.
I'm not sure it is just an XSLT, but hey, it sounds like it'll be your
problem to figure out, not mine.

>>> On the flip side, you have not convinced me that we should drop FXG.
>> I am not trying to convince you to drop FXG, I am just saying that I would
>> rather write code to support SVG instead and may do so after I get bitmap
>> skinning working.  IMO, every year, fewer and fewer new releases of tools
>> will output FXG unless we can show the world a reason it is better than
>> SVG.
>>
>> But again, you or anyone is welcome to write the FXG support, and I will
>> welcome it.
>>

> I will hopefully get to work on it sooner than later.  I want to put this
> idea out and let you guys kick the tires to see if I am missing something
> obvious.

I don't see any obvious flaws.  I just think I can get some sort of skinning
working with bitmaps more quickly than by dealing with a whole lot of
vectors.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: FXG 2.0 donation progress concerns and Adobe design tool support

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 3/14/13 1:02 PM, "Om" <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Don't PhotoShop and Illustrator output SVG as well?  What is it about FXG
>> that is a must-have especially if you are targeting HTML and not Flash?
>

> This implies that I need to decide on the target (HTML vs. Flash) before I
> even start designing the skin for the app.  Is that what you expect
> developers to do with FlexJS?
Nope, I think they should just choose SVG, and FlexJS and its compiler
should try to convert it into Flash assets when running on Flash.  Frankly,

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 3/14/13 11:35 AM, "Sebastian Mohr" <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In regards to FXG, I have a couple of questions:
>
> I wonder about the current state of the FXG 2.0 donation
> process [1]. Is FXG 2.0 already part of Apache Flex? If not,
> does Adobe still plan to donate it?
We have the code that compiles FXG into SWF assets.

> What would happen if FXG 2.0 would be part of Apache Flex?
> Would Adobe still support the FXG 2.0 format in the existing
> Adobe tools [2]?
I'm hearing it isn't in PS CS6.

> What would happen if Apache Flex would decide
> to work on a new version of FXG ... e.g. FXG 3.0? Would Adobe
> still be interested to support the forthcoming versions of FXG if
> FXG would be in the hands of Apache Flex?
Doubt it, but I can't speak for Adobe on these matters.

> I also wonder how closely FXG 2.0 is interweaved with the
> current Flashplayer 11.6? If FXG 2.0 is so tightly interweaved
> with the Flashplayer, wouldn't it be better if Adobe takes
> care of FXG 2.0 instead of us?
FXG has nothing to do with Flash.  Flash has no idea how to process FXG.
The Flex compiler converts FXG into Flash assets.  It can also convert SVG
into a bitmap or something.  I'm not sure what Adobe gains by continuing to