Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Andrew Corbett <an...@nicolabanking.com> on 2019/10/07 21:27:56 UTC

Solaris Install Package

I have been trying to research the possibility of adding Solr to servers running the Solaris 10 and 11 operating systems. Solaris isn't mentioned in the documentation. Would adding Solr to these servers be possible? Would I need to make a feature request?

Re: Solaris Install Package

Posted by Jason Gerlowski <ge...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andrew,

I believe that yes, Solr should work on Solaris.  I've never done so
personally, but very occasionally I hear of someone doing so.
Additionally, Uwe runs a Jenkins server that runs tests on Solaris
(among other OSs), and the results for Solaris look to be pretty
standard for our test suite.  I'm not sure what Solaris version these
tests run on, that might be worth double checking here:
https://jenkins.thetaphi.de/view/Lucene-Solr/job/Lucene-Solr-8.x-Solaris/
. If you find any particular issues on Solaris (especially in the
scripts accompanying Solr, e.g. bin/solr, bin/post), it'd be
appropriate to open up JIRA tickets for those.

That said....while it seems to work and receives at least some
testing, it's definitely not common in terms of what the community
uses, and tests, and codes for on a daily basis.  As with any
open-source project, there's always a certain amount of risk in
diverging from the commonly used/tested environments and usage
patterns.  So, YMMV.

Best,

Jason