Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Richard Lancaster <ri...@osirium.com> on 2020/01/21 16:25:47 UTC

Guacd memory errors for Guacd+FreeRDP2 in ubuntu 18.04

We use guacamole in a storage sensitive sensitive and as such we converted the guacd docker image from Debian to Ubuntu 18.04 (489MB to 235MB).
Just FYI, this is a trivial case of change the import docker images to ubuntu and updating libjpeg-turbo.

When testing the new FreeRDP changes in staging/1.1.0 we found guacd now outputs "double free or corruption (out)" and fails to connect to RDP devices.

Trivial to reproduce with:

  *   Ubuntu 18.04 guacd Dockerfile: https://gist.github.com/richlanc/e288b6e1310415eec6b97765908df3a5
  *   Guacamole docker-compose stack: https://github.com/richlanc/guac-xrdp-stack

Should I create a  Jira ticket for this?

Thanks,
Richard

Re: Guacd memory errors for Guacd+FreeRDP2 in ubuntu 18.04

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 11:22 AM Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 9:17 AM Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 21, 2020, 08:26 Richard Lancaster <
>> richard.lancaster@osirium.com> wrote:
>>
>>> We use guacamole in a storage sensitive sensitive and as such we
>>> converted the guacd docker image from Debian to Ubuntu 18.04 (489MB to
>>> 235MB).
>>> Just FYI, this is a trivial case of change the import docker images to
>>> ubuntu and updating libjpeg-turbo.
>>>
>>> When testing the new FreeRDP changes in *staging/1.1.0* we found guacd
>>> now outputs "*double free or corruption (out)"* and fails to connect to
>>> RDP devices.
>>>
>>> Trivial to reproduce with:
>>>
>>>    - Ubuntu 18.04 guacd Dockerfile:
>>>    https://gist.github.com/richlanc/e288b6e1310415eec6b97765908df3a5
>>>    - Guacamole docker-compose stack:
>>>    https://github.com/richlanc/guac-xrdp-stack
>>>
>>> Should I create a  Jira ticket for this?
>>>

>> Yes, please - along with specific steps to reproduce the error.
>>

> I've reproduced the error and created
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GUACAMOLE-935

OK - I think this has been resolved. The issue that you encountered was due
to a difference in the behavior of Bitmap_Free() between FreeRDP 2.0.0-rc0
and all newer versions of 2.0.0.

Beware that it looks like changing the Dockerfile from Debian to Ubuntu
also affects the way the FreeRDP plugins end up being linked. They aren't
linked *incorrectly*, but they don't point at libfreerdp2.so and so the
script which moves the FreeRDP plugins into the correct location during the
Docker image build can't determine the correct location. This isn't a bug
in the image; it's an adjustment that would need to be made to the image
build if the image were to support Ubuntu instead of (or in addition to)
Debian.

- Mike

Re: Guacd memory errors for Guacd+FreeRDP2 in ubuntu 18.04

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.